1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3 iso's of 800mb?

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by musiqman, Jun 9, 2004.

1. musiqman

musiqman Member

I have pc software that Im trying to install. It consist of 3 iso's. 8oomb 760mb 560mb. Ive extracted with winiso, I have nero, alcohol120, cdrwin and cd mage. DO I need a cue file. what is the best program to use, I have dvd-r and cd-r I dont know, should I put them on one dvd or 3 cd-r because the 800mb wont fit on my 700 mb cd-r's As you can see Im pretty green. Learning something new everyday.lol

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

1. Is it 800MB and 760MB the total file size or the size of the disc image? (there's a distinction there).
    2. I'd just say use Alcohol120 and make MDF/MDS instead. You can even make BIN/CUE and ISO with Alcohol120 and technically speaking you dont NEED a cue file.
    3. Your preference on whether you want to put it onto a DVD or not ... personally I would think its easier to shove it on a 800MB cd :)

3. musiqman

musiqman Member

little lost mdf/mds Not sure what that is. At this point I did not make an image yet total would be 2,010mb for all the files. So should I just burn with alcohol120 srtaight with the extracted files or should I put them to an Image first. My goal is to install cakewalk software.

4. Praetor

I take it you are familiar with BIN/CUE and ISO -- MDF/MDS is just the same kinda thing except its a "fancy" type of image files. I have a quick explaination on my little website here: http://www.hazza.dsl.pipex.com/faq.htm Read up on that to get a feel for the differences etc.

As for what to do,
    1. Fire up Alcohol120
    2. Click on Image Making Wizard
    3a. Select Customize at the bottom and select the options to "Skip Reading Error" and "Fast Skip Error Blocks" IF you know your device supports these functions -- if it doesn't then either it just wont do those things (good) or it fusks up your drive (bad and unlikely). If you are uncertain or know it doesn't support such functionality, see 3b
    3b. Select Normal CD as the DataType
    4. Click Next you will be presented with a screen that lets you decide where you want to make the image. Select the destination. You can also select the filetype here using the Image Format combo box.
    - If you want the Alcohol120 format (MDF/MDS), select Media Descriptor Image File
    - If you want the CloneCD format (which IMHO, is more obscure), select CloneCD Image File
    - For the more familiar BIN/CUE format, select CDRWIN Image
    - Lastly if you are low on discspace and want the smallest filesize, select Standard ISO
    5. Click Start

5. musiqman

musiqman Member

ok I used alcohol And made mds image of 2012 mbs. Im not sure what to do with it though do I burn that image somehow went to your site found it very helpful added to my favs but still srtugglin

6. musiqman

musiqman Member

I think I figured it out I burn just mds as if it was the cue in alcohol120 im trying it now thanx for the help

7. Praetor

Im so sorry I forgot instructions in burning the files LOL For the record here they are:

1. Start up Alcohol120
    2. Click Image Burning Wizard
    3. Click Browse and select the MDS file
    4. Click Next
    5. Select the appropriate CD/DVD Recorder if you have multiple burners, select the burning speed as well
    6. Use Normal CD as the dataype (select at the bottom) Unless you know otherwise
    7. Check the box "enable buffer underrun technology"
    8. The rest of the settings should probably be

Write Method: DAO/SAO
    Number of Copies: 1
    [x] Write
    [ ] Simulation
    [ ] Using multiple CD/DVD Burners
    [ ] Dont close the last session of the current disc

Thx .... questions like this give me ideas for the faq! :)

8. musiqman

musiqman Member

thanx for all the advice I imaged the iso's to mds/mdf then burned the mds clear sailing I just ended up using three cd-r's they actually ended up being a lil smaller than the iso form after the burn thanx praetor

9. Praetor

Not a problem, glad you could get it working! :)

10. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

I didn't know you had a website! When did you think of the idea?

11. Praetor

LOL when I found it was easier for me to make up a well done faq and set of guides and point people to them there instead of "snapping" on them for not searching or looking that the stickies hehe. Everone wins :) (got an idea for the FAQ/guide, PM me)