1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3 PC office network, 1 running slow??

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by integraol, Nov 3, 2007.

1. integraol

integraol Member

Here is the setup, I have 3 office PCs hooked up through a hub, 1 server and 2 sub stations.

All 3 only run a Point of Sale software, nothing else is on the hdd's except for the server which has recording software (for backing up the files.

The server runs smooth, the 2nd station runs smooth, but the 1st station will start running the software super slow then after a little bit go back to normal speed. I shutdown the software and restart and it sometimes works (not always)... I also try restarting the whole PC, again which works sometimes (not always).
    I've even shutdown both stations and restarted the Server to see if it would fix it... sometimes it does.

the hub is in the ceiling so I’m not able to jump up and take a look at the traffic lights when this happens.

When an order is placed through any of the PC's, it is sent to the server and the server prints out the orders to the set printer... when an order is placed through the 1st station WHILE it is running slow, it still sends the info to the server and prints at the normal speed... so I’m not sure if it's a wire problem or software or hardware or what.

ideas? thanks all!

2. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

Have you tried running anti-malware (anti-spyware and anti-virus) scans on it? You may also want to defragment it and run an error check on the disk.

3. Blackjax

Blackjax Regular member

If it's a true hub and not a router you could be getting collisions occurring causing it to slow down. What is the make and model of your hub?

4. integraol

integraol Member

Pop Smith, the Server is the only station able to connect to the internet, however i did install a spyware program and ran it on the 1st station just to be sure, nothing was there. I also ran it on the server and cleaned it up as well... nothing changed.

Yes it is a hub, much like this one http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...nksys/Common/VisitorWrapper&lid=3626667879B11
    but i'm not totally sure the model #, it is to high for me to check... probebly the model right before this one.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2007
  5. Blackjax

Blackjax Regular member

well the hub may not be the problem what are the specs on the pc's. it's beginning to sound like a software/hardware problem with the one that slows down. This is just a guestimate though without knowing what exactly you have running.

6. integraol

integraol Member

not sure about the brands and model #'s, however the 2 stations are exactly the same... same hardware and software... the server differs a lot though.

If it was a hardware/software issue then both stations should have the same problem...

what could it be?

Thanks again!

7. integraol

integraol Member

btw, they are all using XP Pro and all have the current updates.

8. integraol

integraol Member

are we allowed to bump? :)