1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3 Pin Fan Connectors

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by rubixcube, Oct 8, 2007.

1. rubixcube

rubixcube Regular member

Boy I feel like a whiner today! Ok so I have a Zalman ZM-MFC2 Fan controller in my Antec 900 case. For those of you that have this case, you will know that all the case fans that come bundled use stupid 4 pin molex plugs with only the red and black wires connected... which means I can't connect them to my fan controller as it only supports the 3pin ones that fit on motherboard headers. How do I get around this? I have seen 3 pin to 4 pin splitters, but never have I seen the backwards of this.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

3. rubixcube

rubixcube Regular member

Do you think I could make my own? Any tips on which cable would go where? The fan controller comes with 3 pin extension cables, I know that for a fact - so if I knew where to put the red and black wires into these then I could just chop the ends off and custom make them. I think.

Edit: This was what I was looking for :) I can JUST see where the red and black cables push into.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...mage_scroll&products_id=608&image_scroll_id=0

Last edited: Oct 9, 2007
  4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

yes, having used them myself I can see that's a good one.

Essentially, the fans on the 900, since they don't have rpm control, are just 2 pins, red and black. The power pins of the standard three pin fan cable are also red and black. Match one to the other, that's all you need to do. Just be advised that if you get it wrong or if one of the connections comes loose and causes a short circuit, you may destroy your Zalman controller (good choice on that by the way).

5. rubixcube

rubixcube Regular member

Ugh. Destruction is bad. I'll keep that one in mind. Just have to be super careful I guess.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Don't worry, it's unlikely to happen, just don't be careless.