1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3 Red Lights PROBLEM

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by illway, Apr 3, 2007.

1. illway

illway Member

I haven't yet searched the threads, on different pages, but I did scan alittle through some pages about this problem, i'm pretty sure someone has already posted it before, but i'm just trying to get a quick response.

When I turn on my XBOX 360 on three red lights flash, and it does play the game. Is there something wrong with my XBOX? Something major? or do I have to do something simple? Can some please help ASAP. I'd like to start playing my XBOX360 as soon as possible. THANKS in advance.

2. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

3 red lights means that you have had a major Hardware faliure, but it could be simple. Make sure that the power cord is all the way into the 360. You may also try the towel trick.

1. Wrap a towel around your 360, leave it on for about 10 minutes, with the 3 red lights flashing.
    2. Constantly check the towel so you don't start a fire.
    3. After 10-15 minutes take the towel off.
    4. Let the console cool for about 20 minutes
    5. Try to start the console

Note: Works best while the 360 is in the horizontal position.

This may sound like I am kidding, but I am not. This might work, because it will heat up the cheap sodar M$ used inside the 360, which might fix the connections.

Also instead of scanning the threads use the search button.
    [​IMG]
    If all else fails call M$ @ 1-800-4my-xbox

3. RedTeam

RedTeam Member

If the console still plays the games, odds are it's just a simple error. Something like the power cord isn't plugged in properly, or if you have it plugged into a surge protector instead of a wall outlet. You can always call the guys at 1-800-4my-xbox, and they can give you some other tips to try. Also try taking your hard drive off and unplugging everything, then put it all back together. If the problem persists even with the help from MS, you might want to send it in, just to be safe, you don't want a meltdown.

4. navsav

navsav Regular member

Hey guys I know your warranty is no good with a flashed unit - but will MS still fix it for a fee?? Can any other third parties fix a xbox360 for a fee?? I don't have any problems yet - but from what i hear its just a matter of time!

5. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

M$ will fix it for $140.
    What was the Manufacture date? I will tell you if it is going to eventually die...

6. cole76

cole76 Member

Domreis mine is 7-31-06

7. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

You should be fine since it was made after 04-00-06

8. navsav

navsav Regular member

6-28-06 is my date. But are most problems for that period only - seems like I am alway seeing bad posts about peoples machines dying.

9. navsav

navsav Regular member

6-28-06 is my date. But are most problems for that period only - seems like I am alway seeing bad posts about peoples machines dying.

10. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

You should be fine. The consoles that have the problems were made before 04-00-06!

11. navsav

navsav Regular member

SO if M$ fixes your modded unit do they remove the mod - maybe even do something to keep it from being modded again? I ge=uess you could play dumb and say you didn't know it was modded, and bought it off ebay. Hopefully it won't go bad but there is always the possibity

12. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

they won't remove the mod... I doubt they will even check/know there was a mod installed. And if they do play dumb!

13. chubbyInc

chubbyInc Regular member

For those getting red light problems.....

Check to see if your fan is running in the back. My 360 gets the red lights too, tried the towel thing, worked a little while then would freeze and do the red lights again.

Well took the case off and notice that when plugged in the fan runs for a couple minutes then for no reason shuts off, hard to tell the fan is off because the drive is so loud.

Maybe some peoples red lights are caused by the malfunctioning fan.

14. alien100

alien100 Guest

people i had 3 red lights and i had to fix it myself i basically had to remake the whole console it has nothing to do with fans or crap like that its the connection between the cpu ad gpu the soldering is crap Microsof t used cheap solder,

and do not use the towell method that fries up your motherboard
    i have fixed atleast 10 360's with red lights

15. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

microsoft do not make their own hardware as they get others to do it.

16. chubbyInc

chubbyInc Regular member

Yes the Solder might be crap, but Microsoft couldn't use lead solder, because children would be using the system (thats what I heard)

Curious to know if the elite system well have problems, was thinking of buying one.

Still need to find a way to fix my fan, it starts up but then dies....So I don't think the fan is broken.

17. liveonps2

liveonps2 Regular member

I finally got the 3 lovely lights. I also have no video and no audio. Is mine pretty much done? Or will the towel trick or something else work?

18. bazthegun

bazthegun Member

you can try the towel trick but for most people it doesnt last more than a few hours

you can also do the heat gun trick which works well for some and not so well for others.beware that if you do this wrong there is no going back. but i would say don't be to put off by this as it is not as hard as it sounds at first and for some at least it has lasted for months but it is still only a temperary fix at some point it WILL happen again.(if you checkout youtube you will find loads of videos of people doing this one BUT watchout for complete numbnuts who just blast the whole board AND keep moving the board while they are doing it. DO NOT COPY THOSE FOOLS.)

the only permenant fix at this time is to have the chip removed and re-soldered but this should only be done by a soldering god and even then re-seating the cpu or gpu is a mammoth task just on its own.

good luck m8

19. Sandwich1

Sandwich1 Guest

First we'll need to know the error code. To find that out you'll need to turn on the 360 and do the following...When the 3 red lights appear press the sync (the button that connects the 360 to wireless controllers) and the eject button on the DVD drive. You'll see that there will be less/more red lights flashing. Each configuration of lights stands for a digit (in total you'll need to obtain 4 digits). So basically, first you press the sync and eject button and you should get some flashing lights, then do the same thing 3 more times to obtain the other 3 digits. The digits used in the error codes are 0, 1, 2 and 3. If 1 red light flashes when you do that button combo, the digit it 1. If 2 lights flash it's 2. 3 lights equal to number 3. And 4 lights mean 0. ..the most common code out there with broken 360 (and is probaply the one you'll get) is 0102. That error means that there is inconductive solder on the motherboard (which means that the conductivity on the mobo is bad). The solder in the 360 cracks (leading to bad conductivity), because it's lead free (this type of solder cracks when subjected to temperature changes like in the 360,(hot to cold)). So you therefore need to resolder all the solder points on the mobo. That might take you a while, so it's easier and more practical to do the following.
    Just take the mobo out of the 360 (disconnect everything from it), get a heatgun and wave it past the mobo about 10 inches away from it. Make sure that it heats up so all the solder sticks back on (wave the heatgun closer to the mobo when going past the GPU and CPU), be careful not to overheat the board, because if you do it's for the bin. Do this for abou 2-4 minutes and let the motherboard cool down for about 30 mins. Put everything back together and it should work.

20. bazthegun

bazthegun Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leOkRbqWeWo&mode=related&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWEB6sBB_Gg&mode=related&search=

have a look at these execllent vids showing the PROPER way to heat gun your mobo.

like i said before don't just blast heat willy nilly over the board
    as a lot of folk have done this and then can't boot the system up if the drive is attached anymore(the ports for these are just light plastic and a heat gun will destroy these in no time) make sure you can get to the topside and the underside without moving your board at all.

i have used this method on a few now with good results and absolutly NO fried boards at all so watch the vids and decide if you are up for it or not.

best of luck dude