1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3 redlight 360

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by ha9981, Apr 6, 2007.

1. ha9981

ha9981 Regular member

my friend has one and i can get it real cheap, around $80 off him. what are the chances i can repair it? and im technical and stuff. but is it gonna be worth it. or from what i am guessing it will cause hell throughout my ownership with constant heating and rings of death.

is their a way to permanently repair it. would the only solution be motherboard replacement?

2. SilvaJDS

SilvaJDS Regular member

theres a service on ebay where they fix it for you got like $60 mayb cheaper

3. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

buy it from him and send it to MS, they will fix it for free, unless its been opened, then they charge 140 to fix it, but still thats less than the price of a core console.

4. ThaJazz

ThaJazz Guest

i agree buy it and send it ms for repair ms will give you a one year repair warrenty on the system 80.00+140.00=cheaper than a core.you have nothing to loose.

5. ha9981

ha9981 Regular member

yeah but they have a real bad reputation with their service. and it warranty voided.

6. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

you can always towel trick it until it works...

7. ha9981

ha9981 Regular member

then it breaks down again its just reverse engineering as it heats up. unless i towel and leave it open!!

edit: leave open the case

Last edited: Apr 6, 2007
  8. ha9981

ha9981 Regular member

PLEASE NOTE THAT CONSOLE POWERS ON, BUT DOES NOT SHOW ANY IMAGE ON THE SCREEN (3 RED LIGHTS ERROR). SELLING AS-IS NOT COVERED BY OUR D.O.A. POLICY.

could this be a problem with the video cable? what are the chances of me being able to fix it.

9. bazthegun

bazthegun Member

if you are skilled enough with a soldering iron you can take the cpu off and remove the old solder(that is what is causing the 3 red lights)and re-ball it,replace it and bobs your uncle but this is Not as simple as it sounds but as far as i am aware it is the only permanant fix at the moment.

the heat gun trick if done propely can work for months at a time but even then as it is the the same crappy solder inside it will do the same thing again sooner or later

the towel trick will usually bring it on for a while but chances are the next time you swith your box on it will be back to the 3 lights again so it is very temparary.

i have a heard a story of one brave bloke who took the heat sink off the cpu + gpu and then ran the console so as to seriously overheat the chips and therefor remelt the solder.
    now i don't know how much truth there is to that one but i do know from experience that a pc cpu will die in about ten seconds if no heatsink is attached. but even if it did work there is still the problem of the same crappy solder so like the heat gun trick it would be just posponing the inevitable.

hope this helps

10. Sandwich1

Sandwich1 Guest

First we'll need to know the error code. To find that out you'll need to turn on the 360 and do the following...When the 3 red lights appear press the sync (the button that connects the 360 to wireless controllers) and the eject button on the DVD drive. You'll see that there will be less/more red lights flashing. Each configuration of lights stands for a digit (in total you'll need to obtain 4 digits). So basically, first you press the sync and eject button and you should get some flashing lights, then do the same thing 3 more times to obtain the other 3 digits. The digits used in the error codes are 0, 1, 2 and 3. If 1 red light flashes when you do that button combo, the digit it 1. If 2 lights flash it's 2. 3 lights equal to number 3. And 4 lights mean 0. ..the most common code out there with broken 360 (and is probaply the one you'll get) is 0102. That error means that there is inconductive solder on the motherboard (which means that the conductivity on the mobo is bad). The solder in the 360 cracks (leading to bad conductivity), because it's lead free (this type of solder cracks when subjected to temperature changes like in the 360,(hot to cold)). So you therefore need to resolder all the solder points on the mobo. That might take you a while, so it's easier and more practical to do the following.
    Just take the mobo out of the 360 (disconnect everything from it), get a heatgun and wave it past the mobo about 10 inches away from it. Make sure that it heats up so all the solder sticks back on (wave the heatgun closer to the mobo when going past the GPU and CPU), be careful not to overheat the board, because if you do it's for the bin. Do this for abou 2-4 minutes and let the motherboard cool down for about 30 mins. Put everything back together and it should work.

11. ha9981

ha9981 Regular member

but how long will it last? like i guess its eventually gonna come back after 2 months or so. even if i do heat gun every few months eventually end of the year i guessing it will die of heat. unless i do this and mod the case with whisper fans and ad some extra fans. or i could leave the case open.

12. Sandwich1

Sandwich1 Guest

If you leave your case opened you'll destroy your 360, because there is no direct airflow past the CPU (don't say I'm wrong, I know what I'm talking about) ..Whisper fans are quite but have the same cooling capabilities as the normal ones (maybe a bit better). ..The heatgun fix should last you for a very long time if you do it properly. The cooling "almost" doesn't have anything to do with it (If you have the money watercool your 360. It's worth it).

13. bazthegun

bazthegun Member

there is no-way you can put a time on how long the heat gun trick will or work as some consoles have had this problem within in a few days of coming out the box. it doesn't matter how many times you soften the solder up it is still the same cheap nasty solder in-side so the ONLY thing you can say with any real certanty is that the 3 lights WILL happen agian.

the only way to fix it permanantly is to get rid of that solder and reball it with higher quality solder(lead based is the best for this as it doesn't really degrade)but this is best left to the pro's as it does need to be perfect and re-seating the cpu or gpu can be extremly tricky to say the very least

as for cooling the box there isn't really a lot of point after you have had the three lights as heat will make the parts expand slightly which helps to fill crack in the solder(this is why the towel trick works all be it breifly)so at this point heat is your freind(sort of)and lets not forget about all those poor xbox's killed by the nyko intercooler (may they rest in peice)so be carefull about what you buy.

above all good luck and i hope you get it sorted m8

now there are three certantiys in life

1: death
    2: taxes
    3: three red lights.........

14. alien100

alien100 Guest

mine had 3 red lights and i fixed it myself but its very hard you have to totally remake the console and you are also taking a risk!!

15. Sandwich1

Sandwich1 Guest

Mate, I know what I'm talking about. If you do it right your 360 will last a while...and if it breaks, you can do it again.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2007
  16. bazthegun

bazthegun Member

there is a big difference between "a while" and "a very long time"
    if the solder in a console is that bad that you only get a few weeks out of it from new then how on earth is reheating going to make it any better than it was when it was new.not to mention the damage your doing to other delicate componants on the mother board.

"...and if it breaks, you can do it again." not indefinatly you can't.

if you don,t want that feeling of fear and trepidation every time you switch your xbox on then get it re-soldered.
    anything else is just temperary.sometimes VERY temperary.

oh .... and try to remember you are not the only guy on this forum who knows what there talking about.

17. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

an ordinary hair heat gun won't reheat solder as is not hot enough. the reasons for solder cracking has nothing to do with no lead in the solder. reheating the chip that has solderballs for legs won't work in the long run.

18. ha9981

ha9981 Regular member

ms used cheap shit. they have always been cheap. we have to pay for online service will ps3 and wii is free. an live costs them shit compared to how much they make.

19. ThaJazz

ThaJazz Guest

if you dont like like ms dont buy there products.

20. ha9981

ha9981 Regular member

shut up n00b. heard of freedom of speech. they set us all up. force us. peer pressure and physcolgical stuff ull never understand.