1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

312 Studios DVD X COPY - XBOX Backups?

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by tomdart, Jan 20, 2004.

1. tomdart

tomdart Member

Oh hello...

I was just wondering if anyone has tried to use DVD X Copy to copy there XBOX games. It claims to be able to do a direct copy.

Though I don't know how this would be possible given that "pc DVD drives don't have a strong enough lazer to read box games".

Just curious about experiences.

2. M8trix

M8trix Regular member

You have to have a DVD-9 reader (aka Dual-Layer DVD reader) to read Xbox discs since they are dual-layer DVDs.

3. stunn611

stunn611 Regular member

[bold] dvd x copy are for dvd movies only.

4. seamonkey

seamonkey Regular member

NOPE...

mod chip + evolution x dashboard + networked to pc = backing up of games

do a search..

5. tomdart

tomdart Member

Thanks for satsifying my curiosity guys.

I know how to make copies.. I was just curious as to whether or not the claims of this company were true.

Most Google Searches with the terms XBOX and game copy bring up DVD X Copy.. It's really frustrating (at first). :)

6. thor999

thor999 Regular member

hey m8trix have you tried any of these dvd-9 drives? and if so which software did you use to copy files to hard drive?

7. fred96ws6

fred96ws6 Member

8. Geoz

Geoz Member

I was 2 wondering about that...not the dvd x copy thing but if some1 installed a dvd dual layer in there Pc would it read xbox discs or does it need the correct firmware aswell? and does anyone know a name of a DVD dual layer 9 drive cos i might want 2 replace mine in my box cos if u look at my sig u will c why also i am sure it would work + it would be faster right? correct if wrong plz i dont know a great deal on Xbox disc encoding
    thanx.

9. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

i don't have an xbox and dont know much about them. But i do know that dvdrom drives read dvd-9 discs. The reason you cant use them to copy xbox games is that the xbox reads from the outside in, unlike regular drives that read from the inside out.

10. Geoz

Geoz Member

ahhh....okay
    But i herd at the grapevine that a PC DVD ROM drive can replace people (suckers like me) with Thompson drives... 2 b fair though ive had my xbox since it came out (nearly) and it has not given me any problems ;-) but i do want it replacing with better one and i dont want another Xbox drive cos they are just as fast (4x) and quite expense 2 buy
    so what i am getting at is if i have 2 cough up for a new drive i would rather pay more and have PC 1

11. peachymo

peachymo Regular member

i've never heard that how can a pc drive be put in the xbox? it wouldn't be able to read xbox games then!
    the best drive to get for your xbox is the samsung drive

12. Geoz

Geoz Member

lol i think ur wrong about that i just did a bit of research and 2 cut the long story short u have 2 buy a modded PC DVD ROM and run the Xbox firmware through it and it will work better like 12x!

13. peachymo

peachymo Regular member

ok but is it the same as size i've also heard this but.... i heard that they cant actually fit in the xbox it would be cheaper surely just to install a bigger hdd and play off that!
    i would like to view this link you found plz

Last edited: Jan 21, 2004
  14. Geoz

Geoz Member

15. Xsoliman

Xsoliman Member

I've also been sceptical about certain commercial DVD copy program that claim to be able to copy xbox DVD disks. I don't think they can, and even if they could, you would still need an expensive DVD-9 rewriter and suitable media

Theres also some xbox dvd format info in the following thread that I have contributed to

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/27405
    XBOX DVD-ROM in PC

16. psxmods2

psxmods2 Guest

The truth is you can't read an original xbox game with a PC no matter what you do, and whoever tells you the contrary is lying. There are many software scams that claim to copy everything and they're just that, scams.

The only way to copy an original xbox game is to have your system modded, mod the hard drive so you can install the game to it or copy it directly from the drive to the pc, all this thru Evo-X and an FTP client on your PC. You will be copying the files then patching for any protections or disc checks, creating an XISO image and burning with Nero. That's how you do it. If you want your system modded and ready to copy your own games, go here:

http://www.ps2backups.com/

17. fklentz

fklentz Member

psxmods2 has it correct, xbox dvd's are written in UDF format and the PC'S dvd drive just won't be able to read them, I believe it's an OS issue not hardware.

18. Geoz

Geoz Member

Yep also the xbox i think has its own unique firmware so basiclly it is impossible for a PC striaght away to copy an ORIGNAL xbox game.