1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

320kbs

Discussion in 'Audio' started by gammaray, Aug 24, 2003.

1. gammaray

gammaray Guest

thank you for the help the last few days i come to the conclusion to go with 320kbs for best quality. now should i use alt preset insane or cbr 320? or is this the same? again thanks for the information!!

2. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

use --alt-preset insane and you'll get best possible mp3 quality. The resulting files will be cbr 320.

FYI: *IMHO* using bitrates that high doesn't make much sense. For portable use one won't have space to waste in most cases, so --alt-preset standard or even something using fewer bits, e.g. --preset medium, --alt-preset 160 will be a better choice. (--alt-preset standard is designed for quality indistinguishable from CD even for trained listeners @ good equipment, besides very few known pathologic problem cases - many of them won't be cured by using insane either)
    For storage and playback in PC environment I'd use Musepack (MPC). At "standard" setting (~160kpbs) it's better than lame --alt-preset insane, it's gapless and uses better tagging format than mp3. If space is not an issue at all, why don't go lossless (Flac, Monkey's audio; typical bitrates 700-900kbps). For portable use lossless files can be transcoded without quality loss anytime.