1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

321 Studios Scam?

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by faerieire, Oct 18, 2004.

1. faerieire

faerieire Member

Does anyone have a current address for 321 Studios?

I purchased DVD X Copy Gold and then had to remove it because it made my system unstable.

321 Studios sent me a confirmation of a full refund.

I kept calling when the credit did not appear on my credit card, and they assured me that it takes couple months for refund to appear.

Months later and the credit card company says that this was a stall tactic because after 60 days the credit card company can't do anything.

My only recourse is to contact them directly. They also suggested I contact attorney generals in my state and their home state, Better Business Bureau, PostMaster General fraud division etc.

I would like to settle this amicably; but I am wondering if this happened to anyone else when they began to have business problems.

I have all copies of correspondence from them and my case is pretty straightforward.

I have seen other people complain about their rebates being lost and my credit card company informed me that they might have a case of mail fraud.

I did business with 321 Studios because I believed that they were fighting for the consumer and our fair rights use which I believed in.

Now I am wondering if they were just another corporate pirate and screwing their customers was business as usual.

2. faerieire

faerieire Member

Sorry I posted on this forum, might not have been best choice but 321 forums won't load or redirect.

Sorry if I broke any rules, but thought maybe some people on this forum could have info about city and state or address of Mr. Moore's company.

I know their foreign sites are up; but somehow I don't think they will deal with any US business on those sites.

3. Kimchoc

Kimchoc Member

They are out of business.

4. faerieire

faerieire Member

Thank you. I am aware that they closed down US operations but they are still active through a subsidiary.

Before I contact the New York Attorney General I have to send a registered letter to 321 Studios at their last know address.

5. Kimchoc

Kimchoc Member

I'd just give it up my friend. My guess is that the AG of your state has alot better things to do than chase down these guys. There really is no law that says a business can open one day, sell products and then close the next week. No law at all. If they are in bankruptcy, you will stand in line, by law, behind many many other debters.
    If I were you , I'd take out my frustration on the movie industry for putting them out of business. I, like you, didnt get my rebate, but I still considered it a learning tool. If I hadnt started looking here for fixes, I wouldnt have found the FREE programs and the guide to use tham that allows for just 3-4 clicks of back-up just like 321 claimed.
    I assume you still have the softwate? If you read on this forum, there are many tips on how to make it stable. You might be able to get it to work. But I would move on to DVDshrink and start backing-up right now. Then you will really get your moneys worth and place you anger in the right direction. Good luck...

Last edited: Oct 19, 2004
  6. faerieire

faerieire Member

But they are not in bankruptcy; I checked with the 8th district federal court.

I removed the software because it made my system unstable. If I reinstalled it even with help from this site, I still wouldn't be able to activate.

This is not a rebate they owe, it's credit card fraud.

I have documentation from them stating that they had credited my husband's credit card and all the emails and letters they sent assuring that the credit had been issued.

I used my husband's credit card and believe me I will never hear the end of this if I don't make some attempts.

321 studios was established as an LLC; but there isn't protection for fraud.

7. faerieire

faerieire Member

Actually I was able to get a working phone number and address for them.

8. Kimchoc

Kimchoc Member

wow, I sure wish you luck. i see the psotion you're in with the husband.
    I lost 135.oo on the deal, but like I said, I think i gained it all back after running into this site. I have been backing up all my movies in the past day or so with no problems at all. Not like the very buggy 321 software. Have you got DVDshrink and the guide yet? at least you would be able to do what 321 promised.

9. faerieire

faerieire Member

I just downloaded shrink and decrypter, gonna print up the guides and study them.

Try to back up some of my DVD's this weekend.

Which version of said programs should I be using?

10. Kimchoc

Kimchoc Member

The guide will tell you the latest versions to get.. It is truly a 3-4 click deal IF you have a DVD rom and a separate DVD burner. If using just one drive, then you have to manually put in the blank and take the movie out. It has worked flawlessly for me and gave me back my sanity from 321 bugs.

11. rubew

rubew Guest

do you have a working phone number for them? I cannot call the 800 number in Canada from New York. I can be reached at noemailsallowed@afterdawn.com. I want to get the newest version or one that works.

Thanks,
    Rube

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2004
  12. Kimchoc

Kimchoc Member

My advice is to just forget about 321 program and get DVDshrink and DE-crypter. they do the EXACT same thing. They are FREE, they are EASY to use and run with little to no tweakng of your system.
    I did get my 321 to work again by using a program called ENDitall and switching to a different media.
    But....as I say, forget 321 and use those other two programs. It is surely a 2-3 click operation..

13. bulldog12

bulldog12 Member

Last edited: Nov 17, 2004
  14. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

@rubew

No posting email addies as per forum rules.

15. birchwood

birchwood Member

I bought 2 copies of DVD XCOPY for my wife to use when I bought her a DVD Burner. 6 months later, I bought the Burner and was not able to activate either copy of the software. On the website, it said that it registered me but never activated. Was unable to contact them on-line or by phone. I had to eat the $180.00 I spent on the software. I think that it is a scam !!! Why?? Even if they went out of biz, they would be able to covertly post a "FIX" on the web that would make thier software work. How are they gonna be sued if it is posted from Russia (or ?) with no contact ?? It could be done but the don't care!!
    They took my $180.00 and that's it!! As you can tell I am STILL upset about it. Now, I really don't trust many software companies at all. Rather go freeware..
    We all lose. If anyone has a way to make these 2 unused copies of DVD XCOPY work,I'm Interested. Tks and GOOD LUCK............

16. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

17. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

I truly find it hard to believe that pple would buy XCopy with all of the bad press it's gotten online and I find it harder to believe they bought it after it went belly up. I guess the, "lQQking before you leap." (or at least) checking before you buy is a thing of past generations -

(Walking away, shaking my head in wonderment, is it an age thing ? )

18. Yordan

Yordan Guest

birchwood - which version of DVDXCopy did you buy?