1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

360 ethernet to pc

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by sburge, Feb 4, 2008.

1. sburge

sburge Member

hi. i want to connect to xbox live but have no ethernet socket in my modem. if i plug ethernet cable into the back of my pc instead will my 360 be able to still connect to xbox live through it?
    thanks for any help.

2. sourD

sourD Regular member

Its ghetto but maybe, google on shared network connections or multiple nic cards. Get on ebay and buy a 10$ linksys befsr41. Its the cheapest switch, not hub, you will find anywhere and you'll be ready next time you want to hook up another ethernet. Instead of using your computer as a 1,000$ router.

3. steimy

steimy Active member

Your cheapest method is as above by getting a card for you PC, if you have open slots. Your other methods are either a decent router for $50 and a CAT5 cable for about $12

Or go full out and get a wireless router for about $60 and wireless adapter for another $90.

Or a slight possibility is to call your ISP and see if they will provide you with a modem that has an ethernet port. Then you would just unplug the cord that goes from the modem to the PC (ethernet) and plug in a cable from the Xbox.. you would just have to switch the cord back when using the PC.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
  4. NserUame

NserUame Regular member

Couldn't he just buy a crossover cable and hook his 360 up to his computer with that?

Or a better bet might be to just plop down the $25-$40 for a router.

5. steimy

steimy Active member

NserUame
    It is possible depending on your setup. But spending the $50 on a good router like a Linksys WRT54GS

6. mtdew4me

mtdew4me Member

I think with a 360 you dont even need a crossover cable to connect your 360 to your computer, a regular ethernet cable works(at least it works for me). does your computer have 2 NIC cards?

7. steimy

steimy Active member

If you connect to the PC directly the stock ethernet cable will work. If you use a router you need a CAT5 crossover cable.