1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

360 Ripping -- Burning

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by JoshyBoy, Jan 29, 2007.

1. JoshyBoy

JoshyBoy Regular member

sorry, im not a noob its just that im a bit confused about this..

so u need a 'Samsung SH-D162C 16x DVD Rom' (DVD-Rom, so u cant write the games using that)

use the Samsung SH-D162C to rip the game, is it just the way where you take the case off the dvd-drive and get a 24 disc.. etc etc..

then burn it with another drive.. any drive ok? as long as its DVD-Dual Layer...

2. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

The problem with normal pc drives is that none can read the ss, dmi, and pfi from an original xbox / xbox 360 game. And this information is necessary for a backup to play in a flashed 360. There are 3 ways to get this info.
    - hook your 360 drive up to your pc every time you make a backup
    - "hotswap" (tear apart a drive) but you'll still need to find the ss, dmi, and pfi somewhere and inject it into the iso before burning
    - use an 162c

Having the 162 means you don't have to rip apart a dvd drive or use the one in your 360. You install the 162 into your pc and then flash it with a third party firmware (kreon v.81). Once flashed it'll read the ss, dmi, and pfi from an original disc. Plus it still works as a regular pc drive.

It'll pay for itself real quick.

3. DavGerm4

DavGerm4 Active member

So wait, I can't just add the SS file? I have to add the DMI, and PFI? I made a backup with Xbox 360 SS Merger 1.6, and only added the SS file. Does this mean that it won't work? I have to wait for my SATA PCI card to ship, so that I can flash the firmware.

4. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

A backup will work with just the ss. The dmi and pfi is what's needed for a backup to be "stealth". But as it stands right now, nobody's been banned from running a non-stealth backup.

C4E (xtreme's creator) has claimed that it may be possible for MS to detect a non-stealth backup in the future.

5. DavGerm4

DavGerm4 Active member

@bhetrick,

Thanks for the info about DMI & PFI files. I understand now what they are for. Just out of curiosity, what is the SS File? What is it used for?

6. JoshyBoy

JoshyBoy Regular member

ok and how do i burn them, wut drive do i need for that? i remember hearing something about booktyping, how do i check if my drive does it? thanks

7. JoshyBoy

JoshyBoy Regular member

please help?

8. SProdigy

SProdigy Regular member

Out of curiousity, are the DFI, PMI, video.iso and SS the same for all stealth backups? I'm assuming that the answer is no for SS, but what about the others? I have these files from a previous backup and now a recent backup, Xbox Creator says that it doesn't pass the stealth check (missing all but the SS.) Can I merge my existing DFI, PMI and video.iso from the previous backup to the new one?

9. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

The ss is the security sector on the original disc.

Most people use Clone CD to burn their backups. Imgburn is also used alot. If you don't already have a dvd dl burner, the Pioneer 111D would be the most recommended. It has excellent burn quality, it automatically sets the booktype to dvd-rom, and can be ordered really cheap.

If you already have a burner, make sure it's firmware is updated and try burning a backup to some quality media. Verbatims are the most recommended.

I'd recommend starting with quality media when you first start making your own backups. This way if you end up with a game which isn't working then you can elimiate "bad media" as one of the problems. Then, once you have your burning tecnique down, your can try cheaper media.

10. SProdigy

SProdigy Regular member

Okay, so if I have the SS for the backup I need and it is merged in the image, I can use the DFI, PMI, and video to stealth it because these are standard stealth files used for any 360 backup?

11. SProdigy

SProdigy Regular member

Thanks for the no-response, but I figured this part out for myself. If you have a 360 image with the Security Sector (SS) ALREADY patched, then you can use Schtrom to inject the DFI, PMI and Video.iso Stealth files into the image.

Schtrom and Xbox Backup Creator both have tools to verify that an image is correctly Stealth patched before you decide to burn.

Note: Be sure to double check before you burn! I had one image not take the injection of the Stealth files on the first run! It worked successfully on the second try and the disc runs perfect in my 360.