1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

360 won't start!

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by A_Tips, Jan 5, 2008.

1. A_Tips

A_Tips Member

I was trying to flash my 78fk drive with the slax method, and I turned my 360 on and it started smoking! I turned it off and investigated. The drive power cable was partially melted. So I pulled out my drive and turned on my 360, it started. But when I try to turn it on with the drive on (Xeno Topgear Cables w/Topgear attached) it doesn't start! Did I brick my drive, or what's going on? Please help ASAP.

A_Tips

2. A_Tips

A_Tips Member

Alright, I got my drive to start with the drive in, but the drive won't open, so I'm thinking it's bricked. Is there a way I can put a better drive in, not a 78fk, or will I have to get a new 78fk?

3. lilg_06

lilg_06 Regular member

When you connected the power cable, did you force it in the wrong way round? That causes the drives mainboard to fry.

A replacement drive will work, but only if you have the original firmware from the drive that just got fried, because you need the unique key for your 360. Buying a different drive will also work, i.e a samsung, but you will have to spoof it, I would recommened you replace it with a hitachi 0078

4. A_Tips

A_Tips Member

No, I had everything connected right. I have no idea whats wrong.

5. lilg_06

lilg_06 Regular member

Ok, do you have the original fw file??

BTW: When I said power cable I was referring to the drives power lead.

6. A_Tips

A_Tips Member

I never got to flash my drive, and yes I had the power hooked up right.

7. lilg_06

lilg_06 Regular member

If the tsop on the drive was not damaged when it smoked, then it will have to be desoldered and soldered onto a replacement drive, that way you can obtain the original key and try to flash the drive again. Or you can get someone who knows how to use an external programmer to get the original firmware off of the tsop(chip that has the fw stored on it) chip.

8. A_Tips

A_Tips Member

Can I just get a replacement drive of the same model?

9. lilg_06

lilg_06 Regular member

Yes you can buy a replacement drive of the same model, but this is where the problem comes in. Every xbox 360 is linked to its dvd drive via a unique key, that key is stored on the drives firmware, the 360 motherboard looks for this key on the drive when you power the system up, if it is not there, then you just wont be able to play anything, therefore you need to obtain the original key from your busted drive, and flash the key onto you new replacement drive, or you could just remove the tsop from the old drive, and solder it onto the new drive, dont recommened you do this yourself unless if you are really good at desoldering and soldering, this way you dont have to flash anything.
    Without the key, the 360 is useless, and you cant really do anything with it.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2008
  10. A_Tips

A_Tips Member

Is there any other way I can fix it? The drive runs, but just won't open.

11. lilg_06

lilg_06 Regular member

Does it make the usual sounds it should make when you power the 360 up, like the laser moves, etc. Open the lid of the drive, insert a game disk, close the drive, and see if it plays it.

12. A_Tips

A_Tips Member

No, it doesn't work =[. I don't feel like messing with solder or anything, how much do you think it would cost for MS to repair it? And do you think I'd get banned because the firmware wasn't changed at all. The warranty was voided when I put case mods on, and I think the warranty wouldv'e expired by now anyway.

13. lilg_06

lilg_06 Regular member

Repairs range from £85/$140+, depends on the problem, and if the warranty is void, I dont think they will repair it.
    And it wont be banned if it wasnt flashed.

14. A_Tips

A_Tips Member

Well, thanks anyway for all your help. I think I'll ask around about the repairs.