1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3870 tempurature monitoring

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Freekman, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Freekman

Freekman Regular member

i have the msi overclocked 3870 and i installed all of the drivers and everytyhing yet in no programs that i use can i see the temps not even catalyst control center shows them, does this gpu just not have a thermometer or is there a solution
    tanks

2. Freekman

Freekman Regular member

also how low is to low in terms of tempurature cause i got my cpu at 14 degrees C right now, how much do you think i could overclock that to it is a 64 X2 4600+ at 2.4

Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  3. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

To your first question, you need to enable overclocking by clicking on the "key" in the catalyst control center, which unlocks the overclocking controls and shows a speedometer type dial with your temperature readings under it.

You can also use RivaTuner...

To answer your second question, AMD processors get real hot on load, so although your idle temp may be low at stock, just by increasing the FSB can add an extra 10C onto your temperature.

BTW, what program are you using to monitor your temps?

4. Freekman

Freekman Regular member

i know that that is correct i am using speed fan butt it is because i have my window open and my pc is relatively close to that(it is very dry outside so dont worry)

5. Freekman

Freekman Regular member

k thanks worked
    but how can i get the 3870 to show up in speed fan the sensor is not listed

6. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

You cant. Speed fan only monitors the CPU, HDDs, and ambient temperatures. You need to monitor it with ATi tray tools, rivatuner, or using the CCC.

7. Freekman

Freekman Regular member

o well
    i had it using my nvidia card before

8. Freekman

Freekman Regular member

also does rivatuner show cpu and all that good stuff aswell

9. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Nope. Unfortunately, I cannot recall any program that does it all...

Actully, I think ATi TrayTools monitors the CPU and GPU temps, I think they're compatible with nVidia GPUs.

10. Freekman

Freekman Regular member

11. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

It's normal. Windows may not show 3GB exactly, or 3072MB, but 2815MB of ram is close enough. To be honest, I am not sure exactly why this is, but the answer I would give you (If you had 4 gigs and were running a 32bit OS) is that windows automatically uses "x" amount of ram, and therefore shows that only "y" is left.

12. Freekman

Freekman Regular member

that is what i thought to that it was unly showing the amount that is open for any use, but when i had 1 it said 1gig

13. Freekman

Freekman Regular member

and do you know any programs to change core voltage in windows

14. mchalmers

mchalmers Member

32-bit windows can only support 4GB of memory, this includes the page file on your hard disc, so if that is set as 1.2GB, then it will only show 2.8GB of RAM.

15. Freekman

Freekman Regular member

o i see

16. Freekman

Freekman Regular member

if anybody else was wondering the same thing i found a program called crystal cpuid you can get it here
    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/ccpuid.html

17. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

everest ultimate shows all my temps and in the gpu window shows the fan speed, it does show my 3870's gpu temp on the computer sensor page.

you can alter your cpu core voltage through windows using clockgen. you can save a config file if you find stable settings so it loads at start up.

if you want to overclock read the official overclocking thread on this site.

you could use nvidia ntune as well.

although for best stability its better to overclock through the bios, I used to have an nforce 4 ultra mobo, and that overclocked well ie 939 3700 clocked upto 3 ghz just had to change the memory speed in the bios to i think it was 133. if your lucky enough to have an unlocked processor like my 5000 x2 be you only need to up the voltage to 1.4 - 1.45 volts on the core and change the cpu multiplier to 16 for an instant 3.2 ghz, this is easier as it doesnt overclock the memory as the fsb stays at 200 mhz.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2008
  18. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

oh yes if your only on about overclocking the 3870 you will most likely have to update the bios of the card as there is an 862mhz wall where the card gets stuck, also you can get a bios with updated more agressive fan control, which prevents it reaching 90ºc after a long stint of gaming. the fan fix bios keeps the temps 65ºc at max and it will idle in windows about 45ºc. if you need more info about this pm me ill help you out.

I have seen a 3870 is capable of a 1ghz clock speed with a 2.5 ghz mem clock with a improved cooler try the duo orb (leave the stock memory heatsinks on though , theyre good quality solid copper and dont need to be changed to achieve this.

as yet there isnt a bios that allows you to alter the core voltage of the 3870, but there are pencil mods to alter the voltage, but i wouldnt recommend this without watercooling on the card and its not realy for novices.

in ccc you should easily be able to change the memory to 1200 mhz and core to 800 mhz for a stable clock, depending on your cases cooling.

19. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

oh yes also if your using the onboard lan avoid zonealarm as this has a tendancy to ruin the on board lan, locking it so it cant be used. normaly happens after a motherboard driver update (nvidia driver update)

saying that a pci / pcie lan card will give you a faster ping in most games.

20. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member