1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

39.8% compression with Shrink

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by agent-k, Sep 1, 2004.

1. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

This is going to be my best test so far.
    My wife has Stephen King's Rose Red which is split over two dvd's. (I think Stephen King's stuff is rubbish but she's the boss).
    Anyway, she wants the main movie off each disc put onto one disc without all the extras and the crap that goes with it.
    I told her that would be easy as I am an expert (bullshit).
    I put the two discs into two different drives at the same time, clicked in re-author and dragged the two main movies accross.
    To my horror it showed the compression as 39.8%.
    After telling her I'm an expert, I can't change my mind and tell her that I can't do it because it needs too much compression. I am the man of the house and obviously capable of anything.
    I clicked on the extra analyze bit and the aec bit at the bottom and changed the setting to extra smoothness. It took about half an hour to analyze and then switched to encoding and showed time remaining as 3 hours and 23 minutes.
    I can ususally analyze, encode and burn in less than an hour so this must be asking a lot.
    I would like to have done it with RB/CCE but after trying for a week and being helped by about fifty other A/D members I still couldn't get it to work and abandoned the idea altogether.
    If shrink is going to take as long as RB/CCE then it had better be worth the wait as I have to keep my hero status in front of my wife.
    If it doesn't work out then I'm going to blame someone else.
    (Practising excuses):
    1. It was ddlooping's fault my dear.
    2. ScubaPete told me to do it that way.
    3. I shouldn't have listened to Nephilim, john179, flip218, michigan. etc etc.

2. john179

john179 Active member

I do that all the time myself mate.But i learnt another art to it recently.My mrs asked me to put 4 of the kids cartoon movies on one disc so i did.When one of the kids was watching one of the films i kind of mentioned the quality to him.Obviously he was going to mention to mum.Then i just knew she would mention this to me.I told her you could only do so much with a single layer dvd writer.I kind of mentioned the new dual layer format and walked away.Would you like one of these drives love.Well if you think it would come in handy i suppose i could throw one in.This is the first time she has paid for one of my upgrades normally she will just moan about how much i spend.I don't think i will be that lucky again but you never know.

John179

3. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

Ok then,
    finished the backup, quality is ok, not brilliant but ok. reminds me of a vhs videotape. The lower quality is more noticeable during the darker scenes, there are a few shades of dark.
    Overall not a bad copy considering the compression involved.
    I wish I could have got RB/CCE to work.

4. michigan

michigan Guest

Hey there old buddy I'll take one for the team.

Maybe try using a RW play with the "Quality Settings" and maybe one of the settings will make it a good copy. Then reburn it on an R disc.

Holy crap that's a huge movie!!!!!

5. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

The first disc was over 6Gig on its own, the second one was a lot smaller but they added up to about 9Gig if I remember correctly.