1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4.79GB folder to a 4.7GB DVD+R ?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by KosmoLeo, Oct 13, 2007.

1. KosmoLeo

KosmoLeo Member

I've read many guides in here but I have a folder of DVD rip/XviD files, a series I don't want to split up and the total folder size is 4.79GB. Can anyone please offer some helpful advice on how I can fit the whole folder to a standard 4.7GB DVD+R without sacrificing much quality? I'm using Nero Express to burn and it gives the DVD+R, a new one, as having 4500 MB of usable space. There are 13 epsiodes in the series at 350MB a piece, except the pilot which is 700MB. I initially used Nero Recode to convert the pilot down in size to an mp4 but the output quality was horrible. Can any more experienced members please offer some helpful info on this?

2. Phlax

Phlax Guest

If you have the files in .vob etc files then you can run them through DVD Shrink in order to slightly compress them before burning.

However, if you've got just avis, I think Nero Vision Express gives the option to automatically reduce quality in order to fit more to a dvd which may be OK for you.

3. skyryder

skyryder Member

actually the only way your going to fit 4.79 to disc is through compression.There is no such thing as a 4.7 gig disc.
    They might say 4.7 gig but in actual fact single layered discs are only 4.38 gig in size.The other 400 meg is infomation supplied by the manufacturer and encrypted into the disc.
    What would you buy, if you saw one disc for $1 saying 4.38 and another one saying $1 for 4.7 , you'd take the one that had more room right. i know i would but in the end there is a decimal formula you can look up and it proves that single layered discs are 4.38 gig .
    But for you if you are going to burn this project you should only be burning to around 4300 meg as anything past that puts you in jepardyof getting a failed project.Anything past the 4300mb mark is where the dye is the most unevenest and where errors can and do creep in and where most people get coasters

4. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

KosmoLeo- If you have the Cucusoft Program Cucusoft AVI to DVD VCD SVCD MPEG Converter Pro- or something similar you can extract /unzip your files to a Xvid /avi file or files then use the above program or something like it to create Video TS files from which you can either use an outside program to make a disc image file and burn or just use the Cucusoft AVI to DVD VCD SVCD MPEG Converter Pro program as it has a built in burning program that can be used with it or alone by itself . If you can get the files you want to the disc image stage you should be able to use DVD Shrink To squeeze it down ( Compression ) to a managable size that will fit on one disc ( Hopefully ) as the others have said ! if not you could always use a DVD+R DL disc ! Good luck regardless !!!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2007
  5. MysticE

MysticE Active member

The OP is not asking about DVD conversions. He's talking about getting 4.79GB of DATA (his Xvid files) on a 4.38GB disc. The only way to do it would be to re-encode (as Xvid again) all them to a slightly lower bitrate. Doing only the pilot will not work (as he noted) because it's size would have to be cut to less than half.

6. skyryder

skyryder Member

there is another alternative as long as kosmoleo has a divx player.
    Dump all the files as a straight avi(DIVX) on to a DL. mY dvd player doesnt need them to be converted, it reads them as straight avi or divx.At least then you wont suffer from over compression.Alternatively if this isnt feasible maybe try using soreenson squeeze.It can reduce file sizes down without loss of quality

Last edited: Oct 23, 2007
  7. KosmoLeo

KosmoLeo Member

Lots of good input and advice here. Thanks to all who took the time to reply. I think I will try skyryder's suggestion, Sorenson Squeeze and see how that works. I'll post here how it turns out.

8. skyryder

skyryder Member

no probs keep us posted on how your project goes