1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4 GB files anyone?

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by permiggs, Dec 11, 2005.

1. permiggs

permiggs Regular member

W 23:45:45 Drive C:\ (FAT32) does not support single files > 4 GB

This is from the DVD decrypter log.
    I've tried to rip some PS2 games into my HDD but for some weird reason my PC won't allow files any bigger than 4GB... Is there a way to change this somewhere?

2. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2005
  3. permiggs

permiggs Regular member

Reformat... The HDD?!?

4. permiggs

permiggs Regular member

Sorry JeanC what might be simple to you, it's hard to understand for me... That did look interesting, but also sounded chinese... is there a settings 'button' i can press and choose the size for them files, or will i have to, as in HAVE TO(!) change to NTFS? I'm starting to get scared here...

5. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Smiles ! Sorry I was preparing for tomorrow's meeting !!

What many people involved in DVD authoring will do , is get an extra HD ; and format that to NTFS for storage of their DVD's. If you have but one drive , the second link i posted will do it automatically for you -- it may look scary but it's quite simple and does not take long.

Note that it warns you that you cannot reverse it when it's done.

6. permiggs

permiggs Regular member

So for what i understood, (For what i read, obviously i didnt read them links fully...), This is a problem that has to do with HDD space, isn'it? I mean, i have about 60%+ free now and it's been reformated about a month ago... (Paid £40 for it...)

7. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

It's a matter of Fat32 format being somewhat of an antique ! It cannot take anything larger then 4G --- !

As follows I have summarize what is to be done to get your one and only drive to the NTFS format. ----
    ============================================

Be warned, though, that converting to NTFS is one-way only. Once executed, there’s no way to revert back to FAT32 without reinstalling Windows XP. Also, although the convert process is non-destructive (files are kept intact), it's highly recommend that you backup your important data beforehand.

When you are ready --:
    -------------------------------
    Click Start, Run, type CMD, and then hit ENTER.

In the command window, to convert the C: drive, for example, to NTFS,
    type: [bold]CONVERT C: /FS:NTFS[/bold] and hit the ENTER key. ((Note:- the space between the C: and /FS is required))

Note that your C: drive holds the system files then conversion won’t occur until you restart Windows. This is perfectly normal.

You’re converting a system drive, after you restart the computer a prompt will warn you that conversion is about to begin. If you haven’t cancelled the conversion after 10 seconds then Windows will run the Check Disk utility and perform the conversion automatically. Your computer will restart twice during this process.

On completion, your drive will be using the NTFS file system, rather than FAT32. It’s as simple as that!

===========================================

It's your decision.... but if you want to handle large files that is your only way to go !

8. permiggs

permiggs Regular member

Sorry, i need a hand from you here mate...
    So I done:
    C:\>convert c: /fs:ntfs
    The type of the file system is FAT32.
    Enter current volume label for drive c: NTFS? or FAT32?

I tried both and what i got was
    An incorrect volume label was entered for this drive.

Any idea of what i might be doing wrong?

9. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

In that Black DOS window that you saw pop up after you went START-- RUN-- CMD <enter> you paste what follows and click <ENTER>> after.

[bold]CONVERT C: /FS:NTFS[/bold]

Then you are ready for a reboot.

Note the question you are getting is [bold]Enter current volume label for drive c:[/bold] the answer is <ENTER> cause I am 99.9% certain the installer that done your O/S did not enter a name--> So you skip that part with an <ENTER>

10. permiggs

permiggs Regular member

Well, it's done! I owe you a pint then...\o/

Apart from the ability to run bigger loads, is this any better than FAT32? Because it feels like it's a bit slower than before...

11. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Smiles ~~~ glad you done it --
    It is actually slightly faster then FAT32 -- the advantages are better security,more reliable,a tad faster searching, a small gain in disk space and of course larger entries (unlimited).FAT32 was the format for small hard drives less then 20G.

Have a great day !