1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4gb or 2gb stick?

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by Scorch87, Jul 1, 2007.

1. Scorch87

Scorch87 Member

I heard that the 2gb sticks have a faster xfer rate for data. What stick would be better to get if i was going to use it for running roms and psp umd iso's?

2. dEEz_nUtz

dEEz_nUtz Regular member

depends on how much you are looking to spend...You can format the 4GB via your computer to a FAT 16 file system, and increase the transfer rate that way...I personally own both a 2GB (fake ebay memstick), and a 4GB (genuine)-needless to say I now use the 2GB in my camera...just watch out for fakes especially on eBay, and check for sales in your area..

3. haasmon92

haasmon92 Regular member

i would go for the 4 gig cuz theres a lot more space (pretty obvious) and like deez_nutz said u can format the mem stick to FA16 so u get faster everything. load times, transfer rates, ect. just dont buy mem sticks from ebay. stick to the local stores.4 gigs are only bout 130-150$$$ at best buy.

4. dEEz_nUtz

dEEz_nUtz Regular member

oh, hey friend....thanks again for your help with the XMB theme..It works great..I showed it to a couple of buddies that I D/G'd their FW for, and they were all "hey man, how'd you do that?? can you do mine like that??"...

But yeah, stick to your local stores for sure!! I got a 4GB sandisk on Friday at Circuit City for $49.99-and they said they go on sale all the time, (sale ended 6/30) so just check your newspapers and stuff..

5. haasmon92

haasmon92 Regular member

hey, no problem man. enjoy ur PSP. yea i have a 4 gig and a 1 gig so i got enough space for some stuff. i used about 1800-2000 MB's on music so my 4 gig has about 1798 MB left on it. im glad that i still got my 1 gig to back me up if i run outa space. lol. Peace.

6. shadow270

shadow270 Guest

emm..how do you format the memorystick to FAT16??

if i format it to fat16 will there be any loss of space or something,any bad side effects?

7. dEEz_nUtz

dEEz_nUtz Regular member

I tried this myself with a fake 2GB and it made no difference-however when I formatted my genuine 4GB, I noticed faster loading times, and it did not affect the amount of data-Give it a try....

8. haasmon92

haasmon92 Regular member

guys.......this is not good...at all... go to dax's web page...http://dark-alex.org

9. shadow270

shadow270 Guest

Thanks Deez..gonna give it a shot.

10. jestah57

jestah57 Regular member

in regards to this fat16 formatting....

you guys say this improves data transfer rate and load times, but here is my issue. I have a 4GB sandisk, and when play ISO's bigger than 1GB (eg. NBAlive 07, GTA:VCS, MGS:pO, etc...) the games lag real bad, slows down to almost frame by fram animation, and make it really unbearable to play...smaller ISO's work ok, but lag at some points too...

will this fix that problem you think?

and would you do this before formatting the stick in the PSP (with OE firmware)..or will that format affect this fat16 format?

sorry for the numerous ?'s...I just want to use my 4GB for more than just my camera...

thanks!

11. dEEz_nUtz

dEEz_nUtz Regular member

**Be sure to back up your data that is currently on the PSP so you dont lose it.** What I did was first format my memstick via the PSP so it created the right folders for me (I have 3.40OE) Then I backed up those folders to my computer. After that, I ran the format from the PC, then dropped the folders back into the memstick once I had formatted via the PC. Now, if you format via your PSP after that..it will return to the FAT32. Also, if your games are lagging, you can boost the processor speed via your recovery console-the only issue with increasing processor speed is decreased battery life.

12. MetalGeat

MetalGeat Regular member

You could also use the double expand memory converter, allowing you to use an sd card with your psp, or two at a time!

13. MetalGeat

MetalGeat Regular member

Also, try newegg.com for cheap memory sticks

Last edited: Jul 3, 2007
  14. jestah57

jestah57 Regular member

Just want to thank anyone and everyone for letting me in on this....now my 4GB MS doesnt have to go in my camera.....;)

15. MetalGeat

MetalGeat Regular member

no prob bro, just remember to give back.

16. jestah57

jestah57 Regular member

Ill try metal....but this site('s members) has helped me waaaaaay more than I could ever help it('s members)...

17. dEEz_nUtz

dEEz_nUtz Regular member

Well once you become more familiar with how the PSP works-and if you spend enough time on here reading the threads and such, you too will be able to give sound advice to others..We were all newbies at one time or another...

18. Quangsta

Quangsta Regular member

I have read how to format to fat16 but i dont know what a DOS window is.

19. dEEz_nUtz

dEEz_nUtz Regular member

If you are using Windows XP-just go to start and scroll up to accessories, and then there should be an icon for "command prompt"-
    Otherwise, here's what I do...start->run->type in "cmd" and hit ok..it will bring up a DOS window..
    If I'm not mistaken, when you bring up the command prompt (DOS) window -It will start from your documents and settings folder.. (example: C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name>) and I dont think you can run the format command from there..So you need to get to the root of the C: drive- do this by using the CD (or change directory) command...so after "C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name>" type cd..(include the dots) it will bring you up a level..do this one more time to get to the root of C:-then you can run format from there...

20. Quangsta

Quangsta Regular member

this is what I have C:\>format<H>:/FS:FAT
    after I type that what do I do.