1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4GB Pro Duo's from Ebay

Discussion in 'Sony Handhelds' started by MidnightJ, Mar 22, 2007.

1. MidnightJ

MidnightJ Guest

I see the 4GB Sony Memory stick pro duo on ebay are really cheap, but i heard they were knock offs? Im just wondering in what way they are knock offs before i buy one.

Aslong as i can still use it like any other Sony memory stick for PSP them im fine with that, i was just confused about them being knock offs.

2. ThisDude

ThisDude Regular member

you got the link??? sometimes you have to look at it precisely

3. MidnightJ

MidnightJ Guest

Well there is a bunch on there that say SONY 4GB Memory Stick PRO Duo, and i was told that they are knock offs that look like the offical Sony ones, but aren't actaully the Sony offical ones. If the transfer speed is the only thing effected i could care less and buy one, but if they don't function the same then im just going to buy one from the store. Just Ebay is a lot cheaper.

4. ThisDude

ThisDude Regular member

not only the transfer speeds but the quality of the stick is lessen. Like the sticker and the connection points. They are glued on whereas the real ones are stucked on by machinery. And the memory might not be the same size as said. This is one of the most common cases but there can be more issues.

Just go and see what it will cost normally and then see if there is a huge difference. If not you should be ok, and you should check his user rating and what people has said about him.

5. MidnightJ

MidnightJ Guest

Well here they are 189.99.. so thats why i was interested in the Ebay ones.

6. smlvfx

smlvfx Regular member

i bought a 2gb memory stick from ebay and its fake its slower and some games like gta and daxter lag as a iso but is working for more than 1 year, but there are a lot of people that they memory sticks stop working after just a few weeks
    with fake memory sticks you never know and from ebay it will be probably fake

7. MidnightJ

MidnightJ Guest

Hey thanks.. well ill just buy a 2GB one, then ill have 3GB. Not from Ebay though.

8. ThisDude

ThisDude Regular member

Good man!!!

9. Vaindetta

Vaindetta Regular member

I have a Knock-Off from ebay, I got mine for about 65 bucks. Its true they are poor quality compared to the official ones and the writes speeds may be slower, but mine works so thats all I care about.

One way to tell if yours is a Knock-off or not is to insert the stick into your psp, cursor to the XMB and hit triangle to view information about the memory stick. If it says....

Magic Gate(R) Compatible - It's the real thing.
    Magic Gate(R) Unknown - It's a Knock-Off

If you buy one that you suspect is a Knock-Off just make sure the seller guarantee's against DOA products. Ever since Sony Released an 8GB stick (which the new Custom Firmwares Supports) the price of the Official 4GB sticks has dropped to around 130'ish.

10. smlvfx

smlvfx Regular member

i think but i'm not sure that in the XMB hit triangle and view information only works with sony memory sticks if you have a original sandisk it will say unknown

11. Vaindetta

Vaindetta Regular member

For the Record I have a 1GB & 2GB ScanDisk and they both read MagicGate: Compatible.

12. smlvfx

smlvfx Regular member

i tested my friends memory stick a original 2 gb sandisk and i'm sure its real it says unknown
    my 2gb sony fake says unknown ,my 1 gb sony original says supported

13. Vaindetta

Vaindetta Regular member

In any case, if it says Sony on it and it reads Unknown, its more the likely fake.