1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4hr burn time

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by cdan, Jan 4, 2005.

1. cdan

cdan Regular member

A few months ago I was reading and burning a 2hr movie in about 1.5 hrs....it's now taking over 4hrs. What in the world is going on? It keeps getting longer and longer. Burn time is still pretty good, about 20min....it's the analyze and encoding that's taking forever.

2. colw

colw Active member

Go to your Device Manager and ensure that DMA is enabled. If in PIO mode this will slow your processing time considerably.

Your times are very slow - other possiblilities include sypware, virus, limited hard drive space or drive requires defragmentation.

3. cdan

cdan Regular member

don't have a dma option for the hd's. plenty of room, i write to another drive before burning. I run norton and spybot every couple of days, and defrag once a week. I know it's a little longer because of the deep analysis done by shrink, but it just seems toooo long.

4. zippyd

zippyd Active member

I almost posolutely absotively guarantee that whichever dvd drive is reading the dvd has dropped into PIO mode and that uninstalling it in the device manager and then rebooting would solve your problem.

But, just to be sure, give me some info....
    What steps are you taking to do a backup, including programs used?

*Example of info I need*
    put movie in the ROM and blank in the burner
    open disk in shrink
    click backup
    iso image file and burn with decrypter.

5. cdan

cdan Regular member

i open properties for both drives and neither has any info for pio or dma, unless there's another place to look. I thought dma was a hd function.
    movie goes in 1st dvd
    blank goes in 2nd dvd
    open shrink
    open disc
    increase compression in extras, titles etc to get less compression in main movie
    hit back up w/deep analysis.....and wait

6. larrylje

larrylje Active member

cdan the PIO and DMA setting isnt in your DVD-rom properties. Go to Device manager and click on IDE controlers then click on the cable your DVD-ROM is on. then click advance settings tab. Ther you can change from PIO to DMA.

7. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Just so you know the diffrence cdan PIO: Sends the information to the processor and ties it up. Where DMA: Direct Memory Access uses the disk controller to move data directly to memory without tying up the processor. Hope this solves your problem above.

8. cdan

cdan Regular member

both set on 'ultra dma..mode2". next guess please?
    thanx,
    dan

9. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Have you recently added any new programs? update windows? Maybe spyware. Could be a virues. Do any other prgrams you use run slow? Others aps? etc.

10. cdan

cdan Regular member

everything else run fast like bunny. As a matter of fact...i just put in a new hd and did clean install of winxp pro about a week ago. Don't even have my desktop full of crap yet.

11. zippyd

zippyd Active member

I would use the device manager and uninstall the drive and reboot just for the heck of it.
    My reasoning?
    After backing up RE2, Shrink was running around 900KB's and I couldn't figure out why. Nero's infotool said DMA was on for the drive and so did the device manager. But just for curiosity I uninstalled it anyway and on reboot windows did the normal new hardware found thing and now everything works great.

Will it work for you?
    Maybe not, but it can't hurt to try.

12. cdan

cdan Regular member

couldn't hurt....i'll try it today. thanx

13. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

If you install the Intel Application Accelerator, it will remove the Advanced tab where you would set the DMA/PIO option. I said the hell with it and removed the Intel crap so I caould make sure DMA was enabled for all my drives and players.
    Also, it seems that your problem is in reading the DVD. Maybe you can try using DVD Decrypter to rip to your hard drive first, and then analyzing/encoding from there. DVD Shrink rips 3-5 times as fast when the source files are on the hard drive.

14. cdan

cdan Regular member

i've never installed intels accelerator....but...i put in a new lite-on dvd rom yesterday and ran neros drive test. The transer rate was twice what the old rom was......but took a big nose dive at about 2/3 of the way thru the test...don't know what's up with that. Going to try doing another read/ burn today. I would think that if you add in the time it takes dvd decrypter to rip to the hd...that about negates the quicker time of shrink....yes/no? I'll try it anyway.

15. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Actully when the files on are the hard drive DVDShrink can compress faster then reading off the DVD Drive. So I dont think you would see much more of a diffrence doing that extra step. All you can do is try ripping with decrypter and see.

16. larrylje

larrylje Active member

I noticed you said you had to change your hard drive a few weeks ago. Was this happing before you changed your hard drive? or right after? Did it start slowing down a few days ago our did it happen right after you changed the hard drive? Just asking maybe it has somthing to do with a harddrive setting if the problem started after you replaced the hard drive.

17. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Just curious did you check the first IDE Cable prefrence in your device manager and make sure that the hard drive was in DMA mode and not PIO mode? Maybe when you had to change your hard drive that setting was switched.

18. sizla

sizla Member

Yeah my dvd shrink is encoding pretty slow as well at 943kb/s before it took way less time but for some reason its acting up now. I checked my device manager and my Secondary IDE channel is running great. However my Primary IDE channel Device 1, the Current transfer mode says: NOT Applicable. Any input on this would be great. Thanx

19. larrylje

larrylje Active member

on the first IDE Cable you should have Device 0 which uasly would be your harddrive, The reason the device 1 is NOT Applicable is because you dont have a secin device on that IDE Cable only your hard drive is on that cable.

Example on the secondary IDE Cable you would have a Device 0 and a Device 1 both running DMA mode cause you have 2 DVD-ROMS on 1 cable.

Another Example one IDE Cable 1 You could have a Device 0 and a Device 1 both running DMA cause you have the Hard drive and a DVD-ROM on that cable. Running 2 devices off 1 cable.

So answer is you only have 1 Device running on the First IDE Cable.

20. sizla

sizla Member

thanx larry good job....you are right about that i only have one hard drive and two dvd roms. so your right on da money.. but do you have any idea as to why its running that slow. thanx in advance