1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4x burn speed on 4x media ok for movies?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by drayon, Apr 15, 2005.

1. drayon

drayon Member

There is alot of talk around here about burning movies at 4x speed when using 8x and higher media in the security of a disk which plays back without stuttering and freezing.

My question is, does this similar logic apply when using 4x media? ie must burn at 1x or 2x on the 4x media to achieve a disk which plays without stuttering or freezing?

Or is it cool to burn at 4x on 4x media to achieve a disk which plays without stuttering or freezing?

Im currently using some nameless brand media with a mirror finish on top (do u guys refer to this finish as silver?), this is supposedly 8x media there is a series of numbers on the inner ring of the disk in the clear starting with 'PF01' i presume ProDisc01?. anywayz Toast only detects 6x as the fastest. Im running a Mac so i don't have any media identification software. I have burned my back up single layer movies at 6x, i noticed the last few chapters or scenes on these disks display some horrific freezing and stuttering then finally the disk needs to be ejected. Burning at 4x seems ok on the few disks i checked on the home dvd player , im praying they work on a playstation 2 since i sent a whole bunch to my sister on the other side of the country.

As i mentioned i have Mac OS X machine, with no media identity application (not sure if there is any on the Mac) i'd like to buy some Taiyo Yuden Media, the stuff im looking at has no brand on it and i wont be able to get the media code so im very concerned this may be fake an i will get ripped off. Maybe someone can identify this stuff and perhaps offer some feedback? Im not sure about the integrity of these companies. Perhaps someone can verify this? Marketing teams these days play too many tricks.

http://www.thediscshop.com.au/moreInfo.cgi?cat=DVM-TAY-OEM&page=

http://www.jpldisplays.com.au/oscommerce/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=217

Best

2. Sir-Age

Sir-Age Regular member

Should be ok at 4x on 4x media, thats what I do. As long as you use good media = no unbranded media

3. na_tra

na_tra Member

Absoluately, no problem. I always burn at 4 speed in 4x disc they all play perfect on computer, dvd players.

4. jpc00

jpc00 Guest

With the exception of some really good or really crappy media, it all comes down to the particular burner you are using and the particular standalone player you want to watch them on.

You should try DVD Identifier to see exactly who manufactured your discs. I would guess from your post that they are Prodisc F01, not really touted around here. There are other Prodiscs that are rated alot higher, but it all comes down to what your specific burner and standalone like.

5. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

if you end up buying the Taiyo Yudens, 4x for the TYGO1s is how i burn them with perfect, flawless results. i don't know the differences between a MAC and IBM compatible PC hardware/software setup, but, as long as it's authentic TYs...4x (value disc from supermediastore)4x burning is ok, no need to burn at 1x or 2x, i have tried this a few times on my setup, there is no difference in playback at all.

6. drayon

drayon Member

Thanks for the reply's. Currently im using a Pioneer DVR-K04L this is an internal slimline drive inside my Apple Powerbook laptop aka Superdrive. I have a bunch of parts here to build a PC, i have a Pioneer DVR-109. I plan to use DVD Decrypter for the ripping. Not sure about the software to burn as of yet. After i rip a disk i notice the folder name for the disk is usually in uppercase an not always the full name of the disk so i rename this ont he Mac an burn in Toast which retains this name for the burned disks. I noticed in Nero it will NOT allow me to use lowercase letters, an there is a character limit which i dont have on the Mac. Perhaps something to do with ISO naming restrictions. Anywayz id rather not use Nero, i think its a poorly designed bit of wares.

This links i posted above show the media i will buy. They say it is TY OEM not sure if this is the 'Thats' brand or not. I will call em an ask about the id code. But def want the TYG01 stuff mentioned here.

I take it TYG01 is the 4x media and the TYG02 is the 8x media?

Cheers

7. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

You are right about the media code. I buy my TYs from meritline and Supermedia store. They have all IDed OK. We have a forum here for Mac users you may want to look at as well. A lot of the small utility apps we use are PC based so it kinda leaves Mac users out in the cold.

Nerotools may work on a Mac though. Even though you don't like the program, this freeware may give you a way to take a close look at your media. I never checked if it will work on a Mac but I have the app at my website.

http://www.dvdplusvideo.com/Nero Toolkit.zip

You may want to give it a try. Just delete it if it does not work for you.

8. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

Yup yup...the TYGO1s are the 4x they sell at supermedistore and the ones currently on sale for $23/100 spindle.

the TYGO2s are the media id associated with the 8x Taiyo Yuden media at supermediastore,meritline, rima.com, etc. as well as some of the local stores 8x branded Fuji, Sony...i have gotten a few YUDEN coded media for those 2, but those are practically identical, still TY media which works great. good luck with your purchase and burning. have a good nite.

9. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

kivory666,
    Nice machine in your signature!

10. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

@fasfrank

WOW, yours is not too shabby either :) , i never really noticed it, i was paying more attention to the spinning motorcycle... GSXR rock, my friend has one...wow, IMPRESSIVE piece of machinery~ you are lucky to own one, my life is not so much in the "fast lane" as i can assume yours might be, i have an Acura NSX targa top, but, car is different than a motorcycle, i like speed as well, but, i don't know how long i would last on a bike, might just fall off and fly into a tree. :)

11. drayon

drayon Member

thanks for the replys guys been very helpful. Man i love the prices for the media u listed. haha in Australia we pay 105$ for 100 x8 TY .... round 80.6761 USD ouch

im paying 65 AUD for 100 4x TYG01 thats about 49.9424 USD nasty. anyone got a sister up for marriage so i can migrate to the US ahahah

laiterz

12. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

@ drayon

ooouuuucccchhhh...i do have some friends that like down unda, however, they are not all interested in the dvd burning game, those prices are REALLY high...the price you pay for 4x TYGO1s, i could get an identical 8x spindle up here for LESS~ :p

this is in no way to make you feel even worse, hopefully a little better, but, i think our friends in europe have to deal with extremely high prices for blank, quality media as well. anyways, good luck w/ your burning and i wish you the very best in Australia.