1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4x dvd-r or 8x dvd-r

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by kevmbri, Apr 11, 2005.

1. kevmbri

kevmbri Member

what is the diffrents and can i use 4x and what are the best 3 dvd-r
    (tdk.memorex.etc.

2. Jetster

Jetster Regular member

You can use whatever your DVD drive supports

I prefer Verbatim, never had a bad one. Never

[bold]EDIT: Yes your drive is compatible for all speeds so far. It will not burn faster that the disk can handle. So it will burn the sppeed the disk is automaticly[/bold]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2005
  3. kevmbri

kevmbri Member

i have a plextor px 716a 16x dvd=- r so can i use 4x and 8x

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Taiyo yuden are the best,but you got to get them on the net.
    Verbatim data life-plus dash 8x should be an excellent media.
    Maxell -4x and -8x are very good. Very good manufacturers on them.
    Memorex- Be cautious of them. Many troubles on that media. Many different manufacturers and some of them with poor quality control.You can find a lot better media for the same price.

Buying local media,get maxell,fuji,sony -1x-8x. Preferably something made in japan. Just look those wrappers over real good the the japanese media.

I have no trouble with the dash format on sony -1x-8x,but the 1x-4x and 4x I do. Same applies,the ones made in japan are on some of the -1x-8x sony.

Maxell -4x has some very good mfgs. Taiyo yuden,maxell,and ritek go4. I can't complain about any of those manufacturers.The 8x media seems to be very well on quality. It seems like maxell is getting rid of their 4x media in favor of the 8x.

Fuji also uses some very good manufacturers.

Jetster, not true!

I have been finding most of the newer 8x media to be very good quality for verbatim,sony,and maxell.The main problem is these babies will burn at 12x and 16x so beware of your burn settings.Don't leave them on max speed!!!!!!!! It all depends on your burner's firmware.

With my benq's firmware: B7-C9 and B7-L9, I can get 12x out of the sony -1x-8x while scubabud gets 16x out of them.The sony +1x-8x will go 16x for me. I do burn a few at max speed just to test them out and they performed great,but I still keep my burn at 4x.

5. movies27

movies27 Regular member

I keep my speed at 6x...

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Burning much faster than 6X may well lead to write errors more frequently than at 6X or 4X

Though I have a 16X BUT I write at 4X and sometimes at 6X. No write errors at those speeds -

Pete

7. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Yo scubapete, I stick with the 4x burn speed,and If I leave my pc to auto shut off,then it is set at 2.4x.

I just like to give some of the new 8x media I try a vigorous workout by burning at max,or accidentally leaving them set at max, LOL.They seemed ok and playback ok on my reliable sony standalone,but I still take precautions and keep them at 4x.Just a few minutes longer,but I have near perfect playback on my stand alones.

8. Jetster

Jetster Regular member

Ok ...I hear what your saying. I have been leaving it at max. About 50 burns and not one problem. They all burned at 8x

Now should I be worried ?

9. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey jetster, as long as you are having no problems,then you should be ok.

I have a huge family and many friends that like to pass my backups around. This is the main reason I keep it at a slow speed,so they won't have a problem playing them. I also re-rip quite a few of those backups for extra copies on the fly.The slower 4x speed on quality media will allow me to do this at 100% success rate. Now if I tried to re-rip them at 8x/12x/or 16x, I am sure that rate would fall signifacantly.

10. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

It's a question of writing errors. I think 2.4X is a bit slow BUT if you have a DL 16X burner 6X should be fine. I had 2 write errors at 8X doing about 50 discs (all Verbatim's and I only use +R media), all were large DVD burns. Burning a DVD-5 movie, you shouldn't have any problems at all burning at max. As the size increases so do writing errors when burning at a faster speed.

Kind of like driving a car, on the highway, fast isn't a problem, the turns are wide, etc BUT, try driving at 65 mph in a 25 mph residential area and you'll miss turns you should have made. When doing large DVD's I prefer slower (4X) - that's me - each to their own.

My 2-cents