1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4x Or 8X Media ?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by luke35, Jan 11, 2005.

1. luke35

luke35 Member

Ok, I had a problem with pixelation near the end of the movie. I'm now only using good media, no longer using labels and limit my burn speed to 4X like most of you reccomend. My question is this: Is it better to burn at 4X with 4X media or is 8X better ? I use Ritek printable media and it's only a few cents difference between 4X and 8X. Burning at 4X is one better than the other ?

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

*moved from dvd-r for newbies*

Try to post in the appropriate forum next time.

3. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

flip, you are a hard cruel master ;P

luke35:
    It depends on your burner. If with the newest firmware it is capable of burning at high speeds, then there is no reason not to burn at the highest spped possible, as long as you're burning media and not ps2 games. For instance, I have a nec3500 with only the 2.16 firmware that it was shipped with, but I can burn TY 8x +r media at 16x.

With a lot of crap media, the more info you put on a disk, the greater the likelyhood that towards the end the dvd with crap out, since the dye on the outside of a disk is more likely to be faulty then the inside of a disk. But with quality media, this shouldn't ever be a problem. So as long as you're using good media, get the fastest speed your burner is capapble of burning, and burn at the fastest speed your disks are capable of being burned at.

4. flip218

Balaam,

Do you have a problem with the forum rules? It was a media question posted in dvd-r newbies .... moved to the media forum.

5. HaiTac

HaiTac Member

6. Gringle

Gringle Guest

Hi Luke35 firstly welcome to AD,

Here in the UK it's becoming increasingly harder to get genuine Riteck GO4, However even with GO4 some folk still prefered to burn at speeds lower than 4x. I think it's matter of choice, GO5 should, and does burn quite happily
    to the speed on the label. (tho some would say double);-)

regards gringle

7. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

Balaam ,

the faster you burn the more chances of having errors on the disc . this is a fact . you may get away with it without problems but for most slowing the burn speed down helps decrease the chances of errors on the disc . what you saying goes against what 90% of the people around here suggest . im sorry i dont think burning at the max speed is the way to go at all !!!!!

8. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

Flip,
    I certainly didn't mean you to take any offense from my comment. I know you're doing your job. I was just trying to lighten up a job which I can imagine can be pretty tedious. We're all friends here, right? Keep up the good work and have a beer on me :), you deserve it.

9. flip218

The mass majority ... yes :) Just took the "hard cruel" comment wrong.

10. glider68

glider68 Guest

I have the NEC 3500 too, and heard that there are some 8x media that will burn at 16x. Fuji maybe. I just got some Memorex DVD-R 8x to try, now to see what it can do. Glider68

11. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

Glider:
    From personal experience, which is comfirmed by the official media compatiability list of the nec 3500, Taiyo Yuden 8x dvd-r's can be burned at 12x, and Taiyo Yuden 8x dvd+r's can be burned at 16x. In 200+ disks of each burning at these high speeds, they have both burned flawlessly.

Flip:
    I'm a bit of a masochist, so the thought of a 'hard cruel master(ess)' makes me giddy ;). It was meant as a compliment ;).

dlc2000,
    While I am just one man, and am limited monetarily in the amount of varification I can do, other major testers, like digitalfaq.com and dvddecrypter.com reenforce my experiences that quality media is called quality because it can be burned at max speed with perfect results. For crap media, I would definitely suggest reigning in the burning speed, but for quality media, in my case particularly Taiyo Yuden Brand, I'd recommend opening it up to the max speed possible.

12. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

fair enough . its just if you reread luke35 first post it has been suggested to him to slow the burn speed down while you suggest to max it out . this can be confusing for someone that is just starting out on the dvd burning scene . its hard for some one to learn the art of dvd back up with conflicting info . i mean no offense to you in no way .

13. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

dlc2000:
    Of course not Friend :), no offense taken what so ever. You definitely have a good point. You can't go wrong burning at a slower speed, and often the safe road is the best road to take. I'm just trying to explicate the benefits of useing good quality media. They reliably allow you to burn at higher speeds, while with crap media, it is must safer to be conservative with your burning speed. Just my two cents though.

14. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

:) i use ty's , fuji films , verbatims , and some sony disc's . some of the 8x fuji films are made by ty which have been great disc's so far . they seem to be just as good and they are cheaper . a good way to get quality disc's at a decent price .

15. luke35

luke35 Member

Sorry about placing it in the wrong forum. I dont burn a lot at a time, time isn't an issue. My 108 will burn the G05's at 12X but 6 min. VS 13 min. isn't worth taking the chance. Thanks for all the help.