1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4x or 8x...what is the difference?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by bradyboy, Mar 13, 2005.

1. bradyboy

bradyboy Member

Hi all,
    I've alwasy wanted to ask what is the big difference between 4x and 8x dvd-r's? I've been copyingwith 8x but there are some sales for Ty's at 4x. I have a pioneer writer that writes (I believe) at most in 4x. Any help would be appreciated. I'd like to purchase some Ty's 4x at the supermediastore.com but I'm a little apprehensive. Does it take longer to burn?
    Thanks again for the knowledge.
    BB

2. JLebowski

JLebowski Member

yes, it takes longer to burn. The 4x means the max write speed is 4X as opposed to the max speed of 8X. I use both-----> 4x takes about 13-15 minutes and 8X takes about7-8 minutes. Some prefer 4X for a better quality burn. I have never seen any difference in 4x and 8x quality as long as you are using a good disc.

3. nohelpme

nohelpme Regular member

Hey. If you burner won't go beyond 4x, there is no real advantage to buying a media that is faster then what your burner is rated. There would be only one reason i can think of, if you are nervous to burn at full speed. Some people like to burn at a slower rate to make certain there is no skips in the dvd when playing on a home dvd player. This is something this is debated, but I would only say is accurate if it is a low grade media. All in all, buy the ty's.