1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4X versus 8X DVD Write Speeds

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Bundyman, Apr 3, 2005.

1. Bundyman

Bundyman Member

I'm just curious about DVD write speeds.

I've been having no success in burning DVD's lately and I'm wondering if the problem could be as simple as the Blank DVD's allowing burn speeds up to 8X when I should only be using blank DVD's with a burn speed maximum of 4X?

Could this be a simple solution or am I dreaming?

I have blown through all but one DVD of a new 10-pack of Maxell DVD+R 8X media with nothing but error problems and I've never had problems like this before. Sure I've had the odd error but nothing like this.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I can't think of any other solution at this point.

Thanks!

2. Ppower

Ppower Regular member

What program are you using? If are getting errors it can't hurt to burn at a lower speed

3. Bundyman

Bundyman Member

It doesn't matter what software I use. I've been using DVD X-Copy Platinum, DVDFab Platinum and Decrypter & Shrink. None of them with any success. I only get partial burns on the blank DVD's and error's in each of listed programs.

4. dvdripdvd

dvdripdvd Regular member

its not best to burn a dvd (movie) at 8x. it may be fast but it will end up worthless in the end. 4x should be the max no matter how high it allows you to do it. the only time i use speeds above 4x is when im just adding files. no matter what program you use to burn it, it will still be a great coaster for your beer in the end.

[bold]Disclaimer:[/bold]

Had to change the post since people get confused with the word never.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2005
  5. Ppower

Ppower Regular member

I've burned several movies at 8x with perfect results. To say you just get coasters is inaccurate

6. dvdripdvd

dvdripdvd Regular member

buring at 8x increases the chance for errors. it might work for you ((sometimes)) but it may not work for others. where's my damn beer.

7. Ppower

Ppower Regular member

All I'm trying to say is burn it as fast as you can without errors. If you get errors slow it down. But you said "you never burn a dvd (movie) at 8x", never say never

8. movies27

movies27 Regular member

I burn at 6x on Fuji discs and they will play on anything that says dvd.

Fuji kicks ass.

9. dvdripdvd

dvdripdvd Regular member

I said, "you never", not "I" never. I'm still thirsty.

10. Ppower

Ppower Regular member

I'm just here to read and learn and if in passing think I can help I will try. I don't give out crappy advice and tell someone never when it is clearly possible. You are the one who said never, that's crappy

11. dvdripdvd

dvdripdvd Regular member

well [bold]clearly[/bold] burning at 8x seems to be the bad idea if you are seeing errors on your disc as you watch the movie. oh it's possible to burn it and have it play perfectly but why take the risk for saving a few minutes. ask an expert PLEASE i beg of you. the thread is stated as [bold]4x versus 8x dvd write speeds[/bold], i would suggest 4x. if you have a problem with my suggestion then too bad, it wasn't for you. i need to quit, im starting to loose all aspect of reality. toss another one.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2005
  12. Ppower

Ppower Regular member

I think you were out of reality at your first reply. I must leave too because now you made me thirsty!

13. dvdripdvd

dvdripdvd Regular member

it was the beer talking.

14. Bundyman

Bundyman Member

Thanks guys for the advice and the humour as well.

The problem might be with the 8X speed for me but it's still tough to tell. Can you suggest a method (software) that would allow me to control the speed in which I burn the DVD movie back-up?

I can't find any way to adjust this in DVD X-Copy or DVDFab Platinum.

Also...as a side note, I just burned a DVD Photo Slideshow using ProShow Gold at 4X speed onto an 8X blank DVD and it worked perfectly. I'm getting more confused all the time by this but I'll keep working at it.

I think some 4X blank media will be purchased soon to try it. Just to be clear, if I use a 4X blank DVD in an 8X DVD burner, will it only burn at 4X by default because the inserted media is only supposed to burn at 4X?

I hope this isn't to confusing.

Thanks

15. dvdripdvd

dvdripdvd Regular member

its all up to the media. if you by a 4x blank disc, the max you can burn is 4x. if you buy an 8x blank disc, the max you can burn is 8x but you can choose any speed below it, likewise for 4x.

16. Ppower

Ppower Regular member

I agree

17. Bundyman

Bundyman Member

Ok, thanks for the help.

I'll make that my next step in trying to solve the problem.

At least I know it isn't the burner now.

Thanks

18. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i need an x-files fix but i'll throw this in....

i started out in the DVD game using Bulkpaq 8x disks. I burnt a fair few at 8x as i had a brand new burner that was apparently capable, then i started having skipping/freezing films. At this point i should mention i had virtually no discs that Nero error'd out on during the burn. (if a disc error'd it went straight in the wood burner). Anyway, i then started researching, the old firmware route, slowed it down to 4x. Still had freezing; bought new go-faster pc etc, still going at 4x on the Bulkpaq's. Stupidly i didn't suspect them as a) i had loads of tubs to use up and b) they had media code TYG02 which i foolishly thought made them good. Finally the penny dropped and i switched media a few times. Tried few other things as well like different PCs, replaced burner under warranty with the Sony in my sig below etc etc.. Anyway i digress, many 100s of Verbatim's later i'm still doing 4x out of paranoia and because i have many 100s of potentially crap films on those bulkpaq's that i probably won't watch for a v long time. ARGH..

Anyway i think i touched on it but the burns all completed 100%, no matter what media used in my little tale.. So.. (in my case) i sometimes do a crc check on the odd disc for a laugh if it skips on playback, and no prizes for guessing, errors are seen on the crc scan. So frustratingly all my burns have burnt 100% as far as Nero was concerned but the crappy media sometimes in fact lets me down.
    This reply is long winded and not coming out right so i'll edit it later, but.....
    what i'm trying to say (in my humble experience) is that [bold]burning of movies with 100% completion status is not sufficient to trust the movie will playback correctly[/bold] on the dozen or so players that i have access to. Dropping the speed to 4x, but more importantly by using decent media (for me) has 100% success rate. ie for me [bold]burning many 100s of discs [bold]successfully[/bold] is not sufficient to prove no coasters[/bold].

I think i'll definitely edit this more as am sure have over explained to make one simple point lol :)
    x-files is calling...

Last edited: May 23, 2005
  19. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i've now started gingerly burning at 8x on my trusty Verbatim's now that i've got an extra 512MB of RAM. Have crc-checked a few discs and checked the old PI/PIF errors via KProbe which someone recommended recently. Good results so far, and i was moved to start my own thread re crap media, a BulkPaq disc being the star actor with the most appalling media scan probably anyone has seen for a while.