1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5.1-ch & 2-ch

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by MetalWise, Mar 17, 2005.

1. MetalWise

MetalWise Member

what will be the difference if i uncheck the 2-ch audio in a dvd? is it possible for the movie not to have audio in some parts of it?

2. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Yes,if your doing the whole disc,special features included.Then deselecting certain audio streams, may make it where your features have no sound.But If your just talking the main movie, then its best to keep just the 5:1

Last edited: Mar 17, 2005
  3. snorkel

snorkel Member

Even if I copy only the main movie I sometimes like to also include the small intro files (such as the THX logo or some cool looking studios logo). However, when I only use 5.1, sometimes the audio that is supposed to accompany the studio logo is missing.

4. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Each file carries its own audio and subcripture. Make sure you highlight the correct file and not where it just says DVD(logo of a small dvd next to it) or else you uncheck everything as a whole.

5. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

Hold up there. I have done a full disc copy and removed the 2ch to make it fit. I have no 5.1 equipment and the stero was still there. Now, playing the 2ch sections of the disk did have sound. Infact every track on the disk had sound. I guess somehow the 5.1 got spread all over the disk or something.

FYI disk was David gilmore live. This disk will not fit on DVD-5 if you try a full disk backup with no changes. You can make slight changes in shrink without haveing to re-author.

-Del

6. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

I think jim-dandy meant that 5.1 is the best to keep if you have a surroud sound systmem. Otherwise, 2.0 is good enough(and less memory).
    Oh, and by the way, if you are using rca cables for your sound(audio left,right) your dvd player will downmix the 5.1 to 2.0 automatically.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2005
  7. MetalWise

MetalWise Member

actually i watch my movies on the pc with 2.1 speakers. the soundcarc is the soundblaster 5.1 live.

i don't have a home theater on the tv. just the tv speakers.

8. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Well 5.1 will down mix to 2 ch, and even if you dont have surround sound right now,If you do buy one in the future. Why not have the capability for it? jmo

9. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Compressing your end credits to still pictures,will usually make up for the extra memory it takes to keep the 5.1 ch.
    http://www.dvdshrink.info/mixed-compressions.php

Some people cut the credits off, but that cuts the ending music off, and kinda kills the mood. imho

10. snorkel

snorkel Member

Jim Dandy makes a good point, however I have found a slightly different way that works for me.

I try to copy the whole movie with zero compression. After i remove the different soundtracks and extras that I don't want, if it is close to zero compression, but not quite zero, then i don't just delete the credits. I go to the start/stop feature and i start working my way backwards from the very end of the credits until it fits onto my dvd5 with no compression. Sometimes the credits are really long, and all you have to do is cut off the last 30 seconds of the credits.

I keep hearing about people not wanting to lose the music at the end, but maybe it's just me, but as soon as the movie is over, and i START to see some credits, that is when i shut it off.

I don't know, maybe you like to watch the credits for 2 or 3 minutes, but not me. My way lets you hear the music and see the beginning of the credits until you would have shut it off anyway.

11. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

I dont watch credits all the time,but I do like to have them in case I cant remember a certain actors name.
    To each his own,whatever works for ya.
    blaze on
    jD

12. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Personally, with some of the movies lately, I think the credits are the best part! <G>

I used to be one to want all the bells and whistles left on my copies with the exception of foreign audio, but now I am into trying to have as little compression as possible with the full movie, credits included, and all English audio including both 2 & 5.1. Most of the time I can get there by doing movie only with chapters/menus and maybe just 10% compression total, with a setting of 4,300 max on the blank media.

13. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

I didn't want to start a new thread for this, but it's just something I'm wondering: Have you ever seen a movie with 2 seemingly identical 2-ch audio files listed in DVD Shrink? I've also seen this for the main movie title too. With the main movie title, when I deselected one of them, the movie played fine. Just wondering if it's the same for the audio.

14. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Did you check and see if they were in fact identical? Chances are that they were different commentary sounctracks. To select different audio track while previewing the title in shrink. Place the cursor over the preview window and right click(mouse).

Last edited: Mar 19, 2005
  15. missiking

missiking Guest

I've recently used DVD Shrink & Decrypter on several movies.... they play fine on my computer.... however when I play them in my DVD player there is no sound?? Can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong?

16. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Just to clarify the sound situation,

DTS - Requires a special Digital amplifier to play the sound track. your TV set doesn't have it and neither does your DVD Player. We're talking about a seperate DTS amplifier OR it won't play.

Dolby 5.1 is going to be the main movie and is, in fact, a sound-sound track but as my friend Jim already said, it will down mix to a basic stereo. Actually, it will even play on a single speaker. Though I don't know if anyone in the free world has just a single speaker except for my pocket LCD TV which doesn't play DVD's :(
    By choosing only this sound track, you are apt to get just the main movie and little else. 99% of the time, the Director's comments are on the AS3 2-ch track.

AC3-2Ch - Is your basic stereo track and many times is also the same track used by extras, Director's comments and even some trailers. This sound track can also be played through a 5.1 system BUT it will only separate the sound between left and right, not true 5.1 surround sound. Then again, all the sounds on the entire DVD should be heard without difficulty.

For my tastes, I keep the 5.1 and the AC3 2-Ch PLUS I keep the credits as I like to find out who the bit actors and what was the name of that song was I heard in first part of the movie :)

@missiking,

It could well be your player if it's more than 2 years old. Less than that, re-check you settings and try to upgrade your media.

Cheers all,

Pete

17. missiking

missiking Guest

Thanks sooooo much for your help..... I figured it out... I removed the AC3 - 2 Ch and only kept the 5.1 during the selection process before encoding.... As I kept exploring I realized that once the movie started so did the sound..... the sound issue was only with the previews.... I hope I don't sound really duh... but I'm really new to this stuff and I guess i'm learning from trial by error.... Anyway thanks a bunch...

18. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

missiking,

Well, Welcome to our little club :D)

That's how we got on this side of the table ~ that old "Trial and error," thingie ~

Don't ever let it get you down, we've all been at that "Duuuh" stage.

After a while you'll see someone else here that's trying something you already made your mistakes on . . Give them a hand, when you've "Made your Bones" on a project, it defiantly gives you the right to chime in and help them out.

Like I said, welcome to the Club :)

Cheers,

Pete