1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5.1 or 2 channel audio

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by tee99, May 1, 2005.

1. tee99

tee99 Regular member

quick question - when using dvd shrink and backing up dvd, get the option to remove either of these - to put a 7Gb disc on to 4.7Gb disc.
    ok fine - so remove the 2 channel audio, and burn the disc no problems, but when come to play on hardware dvd player (philips 642), no sound at all.
    question is, is it because either the tv or dvd player can't handle the 5.1 audio - i.e. will in need an amp to sort this out.

i.e. - will it play 2 channel if the player/tv can cope, and 5.1 if you have different player/amp/tv?

cheers in advance

2. Batman400

Batman400 Member

Hello
    2 things, 1 yes and when you cut 1 of the audios you really dont say that much a few % on quality
    2) go to the set up on your playback machine and reset the startup mode to start in 5.1 audio and that shouls be it but if this is a 1 time problem then just use the audio button on the remote and select 5.1 and you should have sound and then dont cut those tracks anymore

Batman400

3. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

5.1 is folded down to two channel stereo by your playback equipment. Many movies use only the 5.1 for the main audio track.

Make sure you are getting the correct audio track on the copy. Try this:

Load your movie into Shrink as usual.

Highlight the main movie which should be listed above the preview window.

Start the preview window and run the slider ahead a bit so you get to where some dialog is occurring.

Right click anywhere in the Preview window.

Select Audio from the menu.

A list of available audio tracks appears, select one and listen to it.

Repeat this until you find the track you want. Take note of it and make sure it's corresponding check box is checked. Uncheck the rest.

4. siGrun

siGrun Member

Sounds to me like an idiosyncratic (Philips) player issue (bug) or setting.

As a the previous poster said, ordinarily standalone players will detect the default track which is usually DD5.1 and play it back. These days, it is not uncommon just to have a 5.1 track which the player outputs just fine to stereo TV inputs.

As for the decision to strip out soundtracks. Ripping a DD2.0 track is hardly worthwhile, but sometimes I ache over including the 5.1 track as you can pick up 5% or more stripping it out.

Although I have a Denon receiver and decent HT sound system, alot of the time I watch dialogue movies which pretty much monopolise the centre and front speakers and simply don't require (IME) a 5.1 track for ambience. I frequently also tend to get lazy and just watch them on a "surround sound" stereo TV. What' I've noticed is that with these dialogue types of movies, often the DD2.0 soundtrack is clearer when played back under these conditions than a 5.1 track being downmixed by the player....but then that could just be a limitation of my aging ears. So with these types of movies, I frequently ache over whether to strip the 5.1 track or not where doing so offers a significant compression reduction.

5. tee99

tee99 Regular member

cheers for the info, gents, although i believe i have asked the wrong question, like a complete muppet.

essentially, with shrink, i have to take out either the DTS 5.1 or the AC3 5.1 (not the 2 channel stuff as previously mentioned)

so when i play the one with DTS 5.1 - no sound
    when i play the one with AC3 5.1 - sound.

i notice that the dvd player currently using has no DTS facility - so i would imagine that is where the problem lies.

therefore, would the DTS 5.1 be audible if played on the same dvd player through an amp that is DTS 5.1 compatible?

sorry if this is a completely new question btw.

cheers

6. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Yes if your playback equipment supports the DTS format then you can keep that. If you burn the DTS format and your PB equipment does not support it then ...no audio. Everything supports AC-3 5.1 ch and 2 ch.

7. tee99

tee99 Regular member

cheers

think that one may be solved now.

all the best