1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5.1Channel DVD Recording

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by PKRMAN, Nov 22, 2004.

1. PKRMAN

PKRMAN Member

Does anyone know if there are any DVD recorders available that record in Dolby Digital?
    Philips' website shows their new model 740/17 that does record in 5.1, however when I called the company the reps don't have a clue on availability. Some of the sales reps at Philips weren't even aware it existed.

2. hammer931

hammer931 Member

I also was wondering the same thing since I want to save movies from Dish Network, and am wondering weather it can be recorded in digital or dolby 5.1

3. daveshome

daveshome Member

Yes and no.
    Yes, the Phillips DVDR 615 web site says it has a Dolby Digital processor. This means it will make a Dolby digital Pro logic stream. Stereo with enhancements to produce the other channels.)
    This unit also has component input. (for interlaced signals only.) (i.e., 480i)

Some of the low cost units don't even have stereo/SAP tuners. So they record everything in MONO !!! (Ilo DVDR04 / LiteOn 5001)

Going in via the real inputs will record stereo.

And No. There is no way to get the 5.1 signal in. I don't think the Firewire 1394 can do Dolby 5.1

Many have a optical or coaxial output that the
    unit gets from a DVD.

Dave

Last edited: Nov 23, 2004