1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

59GB and still going strong...

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by avacado, Nov 24, 2004.

1. avacado

avacado Member

So, while converting an AVI to mPEG and all that goodness, my not quite finished usually around 4GB file apparently exploded and took up all the remaining space on my hard drive. Follow this by a nice error messgae proclaiming my now lack of disk space and you get what I woke up to this morning.

See, I extracted the audio off just fine, and was just combining the 2 parts through VirtualDub. I set it to go at night because my computer is pretty much useless to me while I do this, however when I woke this morning, I found that the not-quite-finished joining movie was now 59 GB and had nothing left to finish.

Anyone have an answer to this lovely little issue here?
    -Ava.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2004
  2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

The problem with the AVIs is that you must have a good codec or they can be extremely huge.
    I cannot understand the 'lack of disk space'. A 80' MPEG-1 VCD movie is about 800 MB and about twice for MPEG-2 SVCD. Are you sure you didn't choose the DVD TMPGenc template? Avoid the audio problems; anyway: if you set Audio on 'Full processing mode' you can reach over than 1 GB, on 'direct stream copy' you'll reach about 300 MB (after all, a movie must be 800 MB, no? The sound will be much smaller than 800 MB!).
    But I cannot understand why you have so big files!!

I suggest this exercise:

1) make 2 Video-CD MPEG-1 with TMPGenc (use the wizard correctly: it will say " about 70' VCD movie fit on a 650 MB CD-R "). You should have final sizes of about 10 MB/min for each movie (for a VCD).
    2) join them with TMPGenc's MPEG Tools --> Merge & Cut (type: MPEG-1 Video-CD)

Does it work?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2004