1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*** 64bit CPU's & Motherboards - whos got one? - Thoughts and views!

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by Rotary, Mar 20, 2004.

1. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi all

i have just taken my first step into the 64bit new world thats coming! the new flagships in cpu and motherboard technology, by first step i mean gaining and reading all about this, as i am seriously thinking of going into this with a total rebuild with my computer!

I am an overclocker to a mild degree these days, i have had watercooling i am a case modder, windows coloured fans upgrades, bench marking in 3DMark2001se all that...

i guess i feel the need for speed! i am already into serail ATA150 HD's that in itself was a speed boost! iam running an xp3000 chip from amd at the mo.

so the next step is the athlon 64 FX and asus SK8V as this mobo has dual raid sata150 which i would find very useful!

Well guys what do you think? 64 time or stick with good ole 32bit systems?

Thx...

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Go! Go! Go! I'd go for it. Onboard RAID is awesome. With 64bit you won't be kicking yourself later for not doing it :)

3. aXidburn

aXidburn Guest

ive got one the athlon 64 3200+ even tho now they have the 3400+, i would say to get one, unless u wanna get a p4-ee which matchs up to the athlon64 (which the p4-ee is alot more money) but u wont notice the real real 64 bit cpu and its power until windows comes out with a 64 bit windows(its in beta testing) cuz the 32 bit windows restricts it

4. leviticus

leviticus Regular member

Get It!

My other system is a 64bit 3400+. Everything is watercooled and modded. It out performs my P4 HT 3.2Ghz at running games by quite abit. I basically just use this system(the one in my sig.) for the internet and video stuff. The 64bit is strictly for gaming.

BTW...
    My 64bit can run UT2004 blazin fast, practically no load times, even with settings on the highest settings. No lag whatsoever.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]P4 3.2Ghz HT - 226Watt Peltier & Water Cooled
    1GB Dual Channel DDR400 PC-3200
    2x 120GB Seagate Cheetah10K.6 10,000RPM RAID-0
    Windows XP Pro SP1
    GeForce 4 Ti 4600 128Mb - Water Cooled
    Plextor PX-708A & TDK 40x20x52x[/small]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2004
  5. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

The what now?
    Is my intel 486 chip 64bit ???? ;-)

6. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

Hi all

@ Oriphus - forget 32bit and 64 stick a 256 stick of dynamite in the 486 and wacth the sucker fly at speeds of over 128bit ! (straight out the windows!) lol

@ leviticus - firstly let me say nice system(s) you have from the sound of it! at present i have this rig...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    XP3000
    ASUS A7V8X
    1 gig of Corsair XMS platinum PC3500 434mhz
    Radeon 9700 pro 128ddr
    2x 160gig maxtors sata150
    Enermax 550 psu
    Audigy platinum 1 live drive/remote
    Jeantech full tower (pc world - no name) case/modded

Pionner 106D
    Liteon 52/24/52 <---Love this drive (gamers will know!) 2 sheeps all that
    Samsung 48x/16x
    Fan baybus controller (3x 80mm 1x 120mm) 8 fans total

you guys with the 64 bit chips do you need ram that has ECC standard? or just unbuffered? as the athlon 64 FX 51 needs ECC which we all know cost bigtime dollar!

ram prices here:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_OCZ_144.html

OCZ 1GB (2x512MB) PC3500 Dual Channel EL-DDR ECC Registered CAS2 (MY-026-CS) (£251.39 Including VAT at 17.5%)

*** This product has been specifically designed for use on the AMD Athlon64 FX platform and should not be used on any other desktop platform. AMD Athlon XP and Intel Pentium 4 users should not purchase this memory for use on their systems. ***

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/Products.ASP?CatID=22&Category=Memory

Corsair TwinX 2048MB 400Mhz (2x1024) PC3200 RECC *c2* (AMD FX & OPTERON COMPATIBLE) £511.13

CPU prices here:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/Products.ASP?CatID=11&Category=

AMD *Retail* Athlon 64 FX51 64Bit CPU OEM S940 (32Bit Compatible) £503.50

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/amd_64_bit.html#acp_2d071_2dam

AMD Athlon FX51 (Socket 940) - Retail (CP-061-AM)

*** Clocked at 2.2ghz and utilising AMD's new HyperTransport with a massive 1mb L2 cache, the Athlon FX 51 offers an average performance increase of 15-20% over the AMD Barton XP3200+ CPU. The combination of HyperTransport and dual channel DDR 400 memory interface brings further performance increases. ***

Motherboard prices here:

Motherboards - AMD 64 Bit (Socket 940)

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/asus_amd_motherboards.html

Asus SK8V (Socket 940) Motherboard (MB-043-AS) (£143.35 Including VAT at 17.5%)

With an array of advanced technology and AMD64 architecture, the SK8V provides an incredible K8 performance. Supporting a dual-channel DDR400 memory architecture, scalable HyperTranspor, IEEE1394 high speed connection, S/PDIF digital audio, Dual SATA RAID, AI NET, AI BIOS and more, the SK8V is a definitely rich in features and robust in performance.

- Athlon FX and Opteron support
    - VIA K8T800 Chipset
    - Hyper Transport Technology
    - Dual SATA RAID
    - AI BIOS
    - 6 Channel onboard Audio
    - Gigabit LAN
    - 2 x IEEE1394 ports
    - 6 x USB2.0 ports
    - Asus Wi-Fi Slot

Share your internet connection and files easily with the low-cost optional Asus WiFi-b Wireless Add-on-Card.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/Products.ASP?CatID=28&Category=Motherboards
    Asus SK8V Single Opteron S940 VIA DDR333+6CH Audio S/PDIF+1394+2xSATA+Raid+USB2 £145.70

Also i was thinking of adding 2x 74gig western dig RAPTORS at 10,000rpm's for running my OS and software etc etc. and then useing the second set of raid to keep my 2x160gig maxtors for backup/storage (DVD's are big arnt they! lol)

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/westerndigital_sata.html
    Western Digital Raptor 74GB Serial ATA 10000RPM - OEM (HD-015-WD) (£170.32 Including VAT at 17.5%) THATS EACH !!!!! need 2 of these babies!

and just to get abit of excitement here, i will upload some pics to show me system now!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ok if anyone knows CHEAP!!!!!!!! websites for parts PLEASE let me have thoses links! the price to get this KICK BUTT system stands at a low mere £1500

umm nice price? its the 2 gig ram and 10,000k raptors HD's thats pumped it up....

thx
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    ITS THE BULKPAQ ORANGE "GENERATION 4" GUY www.ukdvdr.co.uk
    http://www.chrismccann.co.uk/user_guides.htm
    http://dvdshrink.info
    http://dvdshrink.info/compilation.php 2 dvds in 1[/small]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2004
  7. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Holy mother of God, thats not a computer....its a space ship.

It puts my P4 2.53GHz with 1GB RAM to shame alright :-(

lol - 128bit 486 DX2 - nice lol

8. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

Last edited: Mar 21, 2004
  9. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Hmmm....wonder what the bog papers for ;-)

Nice academy award by the way, what you get it for lol

10. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

That is an amazing system in your pics. I really like the red flowers in the back.
    If you do switch fully to 64bit and you have any problems, Can I have your old system. I called for it first.

What OS are you running or planning on? Currently there is a Redhat version that supports 64bit full power, but only beta version of Crappy Microsoft. If you like Microsoft I would say to hold out.
    Also New ram chips, DDR2 are coming out that are faster and can larger than 2Gb in size.

11. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Hey, I just noticed two things:

1). The picture shows that you have the same monitor as me - Hansol 920p

2). The screen on the Monitor has a post by me on it :)

12. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

I only noticed the other monitor witht he guy and girl on it. I was tring to figure out if this was live Webcam capture of Rotary. Is either the guy or girl you Rotary?

One question, what type of video input card do you have on that system? All the front ports look amazing. Hard to tell but one looks like has cable RF input, the other above I can't make out if it is a set of control knobs or set of inputs.

13. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi there

That guy and girl are off HOLLYOAKS! channel4 6.00oclock

it is an rf its from the skybox so as i can watch telly/sky - its a hauppage tv card

that gubbins on the front is the audigy platinum live drive/remote control set

thx all -

14. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Yeah, but more importantly, the screen on the main monitor has a post by me in it :)

15. aXidburn

aXidburn Guest

you guys like staring at the picture trying to find more things to say about?...is that you, its mny post, nice wall paper...lol
    but u guys forgot the thing there that says "hitlist"...lol

16. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

Oh yes and your name is on it! :LOL nar its a 6 game pack a lady gave me for going to pc world and helping her buy her new computer setup (she has no idea) so i went so she didnt get riped off (pc world - ripped off????) NEVER!

also to get back to the main topic! there is a new chip on the horizon!!! an ATHLON 64 FX 53 3.4gig coming out so i will wait as this i know brings prices down!

{{{YES! but has anybody spotted this guy in the case window! on his little computer????
    [​IMG]

17. aXidburn

aXidburn Guest

bringing this back to topic(i know at aD everybody hates doing that...lol)
    anybody know when the windows xp 64 bit edition is coming out, it has been in beat testing for a while now. so anyways while i was looking for a date at windows.com i came across that you can dl a trial of windows xp 64 bit edition.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/downloads/upgrade.asp
    anybody try this?, should i?.....and when the trial is up after like a year can u go back to ur old windows, and does this new one have everything u need like the drivers and everything?

18. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

I have the software already incase i did decide ot upgrade to 64bit. But, looks likely, after some advice from my good friend Rotary, that i will instead be getting a fast Hard Drive and extended RAM 1GB to start with and another GB in a month. That should make me p4 2.53Ghz run a bit faster...

Rotary - u want me to send you the Windows Xp 64Bit on disc?

19. aXidburn

aXidburn Guest

where do u have the windows xp 64 bit from?

20. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi there

there is a full beta longhorn download here! not sure if its still up there? its from **micorsoft** to download:

ALSO 64-BIT windows xp pro

http://download.microsoft.com/downl...146bfd7501/srv03sp1_usa_1069_amd64fre_pro.iso

oriphus i will wait on the 64bit OS for a bit, but thanks!

just heard stay away from ASUS SK8V (opteron/FX) 64bit early mobo's! with bios revision v100.1 as this bios doesnt post!!!! all later ones are good to go!