1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

6Gig to DVDR - help (n00b)

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by Crunkin, Mar 21, 2004.

1. Crunkin

Crunkin Member

Hi guys, im new to the website. I have a small problem. My dad has this ALLDATA software for computer that helps him diagnose problems on cars and so on. Acouple of days ago he asked me to back them up on to DVD-R format. Now the ALLDATA disks have excess information of 6.0GB i Tired to burn them on to regular DVD-R's but it didnt work becuase there wasnt enough room. How can i put them on a DIsk form? If that is not possiable how else can i back them up? BTW the disks wont work without a HASP key. Dont ask me what that is, cause i dont even know. But how can i back them up, so he doesnt have to use the originals incase they break. Please help me out. Thank you!

2. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Well maybe you could first transfer them to a folder on your HD then try compressing the folder. Either .zip or .RAR. But I don't know what good this will do as even if they now fit, the disc would be useless in that state.

3. gotisos

gotisos Guest

I would suggest using a file splitting program like chop, go to google and do a search for "file splitting programs" and a list should pop up, there are a million out there

4. Crunkin

Crunkin Member

Lets say i compress the files and then i record them on to the disk do you think that would work? ANd how does a file splitting program work?!?!?!?!

5. gotisos

gotisos Guest

sorry for the delayed reaction. File splicing programs work by basically splitting a large file into two smaller managable files. (usually 001 file and 002 file.) you can specify the number of files that you want it to splice into. In your case you have a 6 gig file, so you would make one file around 4 gigs, so it would fit on a dvd, and the other about 2 gigs, or you could splice it into 7 different 700mb cds. Once you splice and burn them, if you want to transfer them back to a pc, you use the same program to join the two files back together. first transfer the file to your hard drive and then use the same splicing program you used to cut them up to rejoin them.

hope this helps, if this does not work I would follow this link www.7-zip.com, it is an advance compression utility that should be able to get that file to one dvd

best of luck,
    Got Isos?