1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7.35 GB avi to 8.5 GB DVD+R

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by User4200, Mar 23, 2011.

1. User4200

User4200 Member

Hi have recently attempted to burn avi movie files to 8.5 GB memorex DVD+R using Cyberlink DVD program. The movies I have already burned are approx 800 MB in size but the program says they almost make disc capacity. I dont understand this concept if the DVD+R is a significant amount of GB. Can anyone explain? And if so, is it possible to fit a bigger file size say 7.35 GB to one DVD+R?

2. attar

attar Senior member

It's the running time of the movie that matters.
    Two hours running time in AVI has to expand to a much larger size in DVD movie format (even though the running time is the same).
    A standard blank DVD disk (4.3 GB) can contain around two hours of DVD Movie files (mpeg2 format).
    The same disk, using the highly compressed DivX or XviD format can contain much more.

3. User4200

User4200 Member

Excellent thank you. One more question, do I have to download the file in DivX format or is there a way to convert .avi files to DivX?

4. attar

attar Senior member

AVI is the so called container.
    Generally it contains files that have been compressed using the DivX or XviD codec (compressor).

Often AVI DivX and XviD are used interchangeably.