1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

720p MKV to a more universal playable format

Discussion in 'Blu-ray' started by Sperkowitz, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Sperkowitz

Sperkowitz Member

I've been ripping my Blu-Ray movies and converting them to 720p MKVs to store on a standard CD. Obviously, MKVs play fine on my computer but they are still not universally supported like DviX and XVID. I would like to convert these to a format that I can play on other systems like the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360. My Blu-Ray player is capable of playing MKV, but I'm not going to lug that around when I want to bring some movies to someone else's home.

I've been using Handbrake for converting my 1080p to 720p using automatic quality to fit to 4.2 gb. I've tried different conversions with Handbrake, and nothing was playable on my Xbox and I gave up after numerous tries. I thought the Xbox could play back h.264 and I've tried different audio AAC, AC3, MP3.

What am I doing wrong? Should I use another program? Am I using the wrong settings in Handbrake? I recently extracted the audio and video of a MKV I encoded but can't even get the h264 to play correctly on my computer. And I don't know what problem to use to merge these together into another container (avi?).

I hope I made some sense here.

2. Sperkowitz

Sperkowitz Member

I think this could have gone into a better forum.

Mods, please delete this thread. I'm going to place this into another forum.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011