1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*** 8.5GB Recordable DVDs Coming ***

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Rotary, Oct 12, 2003.

1. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

Hi all

8.5GB Recordable DVDs Coming

The DVD+RW Alliance (7 companies including Dell and Sony) and other companies are announcing dual-layer recordable DVD discs that have a capacity of 8.5GB. The discs should hit stores in 2004. One main issue is compatibility with current DVD drives.

According to the DVD Alliance, they are making compatibility a "priority." Pioneer states "DVD-R discs supporting this technology can be played back on most existing players, and DVD recorders supporting this technology will be developed easily."

The added capacity means that DVDs will be able to record 16 hours of VHS quality material and this may lead to the end of VCR tapes. However, consumers will not see rewritable dual-layer DVDs because of the phase-change technology they utilize.

Source: http://www.eweek.com

Anyone got any more info or views to add please do!

Thx...

Last edited: Oct 12, 2003
  2. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

As far as I read the article in Afterdawn newsletter a few weeks ago , you will need to have a new burner that is compatible.

The URL above shows nothing other than eWeek frontpage , not much help !

3. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

4. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

^
    |
    | Cheers boss , thats what I was reffering to [bold]: )[/bold]

5. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

I believe the timing is a bit late. Id rather be spending my money on a blue laser 25GB system than a soon too be out-of-date format. But thaqts just me :-D

6. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi all

Hey there oriphus! hows it dude?

can you give me some info on this 26gb blue laser thingy? sounds a good read to me!

Thx...

7. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Blu-Ray, it is already in the market with insane price tag, but prices are expected to drop very quickly, once Japan moves into HDTV digital broadcasting big time during the next couple of months. It improves the quality dramatically over DVD-Video -- 1920x1080 resolution with 24MBps :)

And TDK demoed 4-layer version of Blu-Ray last week, achieving almost 100GB per disc..

8. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Hey Rotary - Its going well thanks. I think dRD has basically said it. The Blu Ray system i think is aroun $2000 dollars with discs being around $20 each i i remember correctly. However, as dRD has said, the price is expected to drop below $1000 within the next year. The only real issue with them is the backward compatibility. At the minute, you cannot play your DVD-Video discs in the Blu ray machine. However, i am hoping they will bring out a machine that has a red laser system as well as a blue laser system in the case for the sole purpose of backward compatibility. I think that 100GB discs are a bit further down the road in terms of cost and availability, however, 26GB(or there abouts) is a substantial increase in quality over the 4.7Gb and even the 8.4GB dual layer discs.

Sony are also desgining a blue laser systems as well as different yellow laser system. The colour of laser is all down to the size of pit that can be burnt on a disc. the higher the nm the smaller the pit. Obviously an Ultra Violet laser will burn the smallest pits, but the development for it will be quite a bit behind the blue laser systems. Sony are also part of the Blu Ray colaboration, which leaves me wondering why they bothered going to create their own blue laser system, yet to be names i think. It is expected to have 50GB discs by mid 2005 and 100GB+ by 2007-2010. Matsishita is the main company behind the blu ray (panasonic).

It is inevitable that soon a change will be made. that is why i feel that the introduction of the dual layer discs is a bit late for the current market. The demands will be for higher quality, and dual layer discs just dont offer me that. I have a 60" projector and screen and a resolution of 1280x1024. Even with a progressive scan unit, the quality isnt as good as i would like it to be. Therefore i will wait unitl HD DVD becomes a feasible reality, as it soon will be due to the boom in Japan in this area of home entertainment.

Well, theres my two cents :-D

9. jonnydoe.

jonnydoe. Member

Damn I bought this progressive scan dvd player and the tv won't support it, oh well better start saving up..

10. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Same problem with my previouse projector.

11. Wild0ne

Wild0ne Member

double post - sorry

Last edited: Oct 23, 2003
  12. Wild0ne

Wild0ne Member

8.5? I thought they where 9.4Gb

You realize of course that when these are available that the movie companies will expand the vob file sizes to make 15Gb movies.

13. jonnydoe.

jonnydoe. Member

lol yeah, more capacity better quality high definition..

14. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Thats why im hoping that Blu Ray becomes a feasible <£500 option for DVD Copying