1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8 DVD's later much much slower performance

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by mspee, Apr 14, 2005.

1. mspee

mspee Guest

When I first started making backups of my movies it was a somewhat fast process (1-2min to open, encrypt @ 2700kb/sec, burn at 8X), now I have burned about 8 DVD’s and it has gone down to (5-6min to open, encrypt @ 1200kb/sec, burn at 1.4X max). I have no idea what happened, same everything. When writing to DVD the BUFFER remains at 99-100% while the DEVICE BUFFER is going crazy and changing from 0-100% every few seconds. When the system was fast the BUFFER would also move around trying to keep up. What does that mean? So anyways, I went to a windows restore point on my computer, back to about my 4th DVD and my performance jumped up to around (2-3min, 2300kb/sec, 6X). I have an AMD 2600, 512Ram, Pioneer Burner, 120GB HD partitioned into 3 drives. I have Shrink and Decrypter on my C drive, but I save the movies on my D drive. Any suggestions?

2. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

Have you deleated movie files in your temp files and defraged?

3. mspee

mspee Guest

No not yet, is this just the normal windows temp file???

4. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

More than likely you are going into PIO Mode from DMA, Go to Device Manager>IDE/ATA Controllers> click on it and go to Secondary IDE Channel> right click> Properities> Advanced settings.
    See if DMA 2 is present in current transfer rate. If not then uninstall the Secondary IDE>reboot and let Windows find it again. Check it after re-boot to make sure it is in DMA Mode

5. mspee

mspee Guest

This is my first build so I dont understand what that means, but I will give it a try, does it matter if I am using a serial HD?

Thanks for the help

6. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

mspee,
    You are not uninstalling the HD you are uninstalling the Burners w/in the Windows operating unit.

While you are at it you said this was your first build so I want you to make sure all of the cables on the inside of the uint are re-seated properly ( snug in their connections)

Just remember to uninstll the burners on the sec.IDE you right click each secondary IDE and uninstall is there. Click on it and then re-boot.

Also before doing this do what bilbo65 wanted you to do and de-frag the HD

7. mspee

mspee Guest

Thanks a ton guys
    I will give it a shot tonight

8. mspee

mspee Guest

I checked and the secondary is still in DMA mode, or at least since I went to the system restore point. I also defragmented the HD and I think I cleaned the temp file. Not really sure, just ran one of windows programs to help your system perform faster and it said it was cleaning the temp file. I didnt have anytime to try an burn last night but I did try and encode and it was encoding at 2800kb/sec. So thats a good sign.

I will let you know how it turns out.