1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

80 wire IDE cable?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by HRJustin, May 31, 2007.

1. HRJustin

HRJustin Guest

i was just wondering im putting together my new computer and i noticed that there is a little gap in the cable like a little section of wire was cut out. its only on the blue part that plugs into the motherboard. it doesnt seem like its a fault or anything just a little space in the strip of wires on one of the little wires. i was just checking it out before i put everything together and noticed that i could see through it in a little hole.

2. HRJustin

HRJustin Guest

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2007
  3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

was made on purpose. i believe to make the end connector master when using cable select jumper on both drives.

4. Blackjax

Blackjax Regular member

I dont know ddp it doesn't look right to me. Looks like an 80 pin cable with a default although as you said hr the pics are rough. Try the cable if you get weird things happening change it!

5. NJman

NJman Member

if im not completely insane i think the sometimes the use that mark for a floppy ribbon vs. the read or blue strip. Dont quote me on that one but i do think thats just indicating that its a floppy drive ribbon.

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

a floppy cable is 34 pins not 40 pins. also a floppy cable has 7 wires twisted 9 wires from edge of cable.

7. HRJustin

HRJustin Guest

i dont have windows yet but i have it hooked up and it picks up the drive in the bios. i ordered some link depot round cables for the heck of it with my last order of windows xp pro keyboard and mouse. im just mad that i ordered it late on friday and my order wasnt shipped yet so i wont get it until Wednesday i hope that everything works good when it all gets here :D its my last order to finish off my first computer build. :D