1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

811S (liteon) - only 3x rip???

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by kyle2k4, Aug 19, 2004.

1. kyle2k4

kyle2k4 Guest

is this normal for a 811S burner ripping a dvd? this is an external drive..and i just put it a new enlcosure around it. it seems that the enclosure is slowing this 8x burner down - is that possible???

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hi,

What speed did it rip at before the new enclosure?

Did you install a hacked firmware to onlock the rip speed?

Is it connected to a USB 2.0 port?

3. kyle2k4

kyle2k4 Guest

i fixed it! my hard drive changed somehow to PIO mode only and this was slowing everything down tremendously! not now it isn't.

btw - yeah i installed the heralded "zebra mod" to change this original 411sx to an 811s. kicks ass now @ 8x!!

4. Nephilim

Good news then!

5. mopar4u

mopar4u Member

Could you explain what PIO is and what the zebra mod is? My Liteon 811S burner reads and writes around 2X---slow

6. Nephilim

Hi,

Almost all factory DVD Burners are locked to a 2X read speed for DVD Videos courtesy of the morons at MPAA. The "zebra mod" is a modified firmware that unlocks the read speed as well as adding other enhancements to the overall performance of the burner and is only for Lite-On 411S drives.

PIO and DMA are differing transfer speeds for ATA devices with PIO being an extremely slow one and DMA a very fast one. Here's a link that'll shed some light on the subject :)

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/IDE-DMA.mspx
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    "And there we saw the giants...And we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight." Numbers 13:33
    http://www.intervocative.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rephaim[/small]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2004