1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8x dvd-rs on 8x burner will only burn at 4x

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by medialife, Nov 15, 2004.

1. medialife

medialife Member

I just bought some Ritek G05 8x dvd-rs, and I have a Plextor 708A, which is supposed to be an 8x burner. However, when I try to use the 8x dvd-rs, Nero will only let me set the max speed to 4x. Even if I do the "find fastest possible burning speed" setting thing, it still burns at 4x. Is there any way to change this?

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Check your version of Nero and see if you have the newest version. You may need the upgrade.

Jerry

3. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey media life, i have been researching for my next burner. The plextor 708a i looked at yesterday on ebay stated the specs were 8x on +r, 4x on +rw. For - formats. Only 4x on -r and 2x on rw's. I get a lot of good info off of ebay and i just looked it up again. I don't know why - formats are slower than + but this may help you out. Later

4. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Well medialife, there is your answer. It seems you can only burn -R media at 4X max. I guess it helps to read the drive specs. I just checked this site and it says the same thing.

http://www.videohelp.com.

Jerry

5. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

hi again media life, How do you like that burner? Would you recommend it?

6. medialife

medialife Member

Saugman,

I've burned 400+ dvds and haven't had a bad burn (to my knowledge... haven't actually watched ALL of the dvds yet). But it's still producing good burns after a year. If you can get it for cheap, go for it. It's an older model, so you could probably find it for cheap, though I wouldn't recommend buying a used one. There's a new one that has a 12x rating, though it's probably dvd+r, and you can get that one for $100. Plextor seems to have a reputation for making great drives, so I'm sure either model would work.

7. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

@saugmon

I've been using my 708A for a little over a year now with absolutely no problems or complaints. Top quality and top performance is why Plextors are the only burners I'll buy :)

8. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Thanx for the info, medialife and Nephilim. I will put this brand on my (A) christmas wish list. I am in no hurry for it so I will try to find a bargain on the plextors. Later