1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8x dvd works fine, but 4x dvds seem to fail

Discussion in 'PS2' started by xephon, Sep 9, 2004.

1. xephon

xephon Member

I used the 8x dvd that came with my burner (the burner is memorex, and so is the dvd) and I was able to make a backup of a game perfectly (i.e. it loaded in swap magic no problems)

but after that i tried using some 4x memorex dvds that i had bought before i got the burner, and so far 2 out of 2 games will not play. In swap magic, once i press "X" it acts like it is going to load, then it just continues showing the load screen (the moving stars), and the outer part blinks a few different colors. ALthough one of the games got past the load screen once, then hung up on its own loading screen.

The burn process always shows "complete" and no errors, but no luck with playing the games.

would it matter if some of the games are PAL, and my ps2 is ntsc (sp?)

thanks in advance.

2. nelswick

nelswick Regular member

i suggest you use the 8X since those seem to be working for you.

3. xephon

xephon Member

i was hoping that might be it...

i was gonna go out and buy some more tonight, but by the time i started to think that might be it, the store was closed

4. xephon

xephon Member

well i got them working but im not sure of the exact error.

i switched from 4x dvd+r's to 8x dvd-r's

the 8x dvd-r's work now, but the first one that originally worked was the one that came with the burner (a 8x dvd+r)

so i dont know if it was the 4x that was the problem or the "+r" that was the problem

btw the ps2 i have is a version 3.

5. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

It's a miracle that the +R disc you made even worked in that v3 machine. They're not supposed to be able to read them. Supposedly only some v4 and all v5+ machines read +R properly.

6. xephon

xephon Member

well it must have been the +R then

btw out of the 5-6 games i have written, i have done them all at 8x and none failed, so why does everyone say to do them at 1x?

7. azn_kda

azn_kda Regular member

burning at 1x would give you no error on the DVD. probably makes it easiler for the ps2 to read. burning 8x would give you a chance of error.