1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8x for pioneer and sony

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by firewire, Jan 18, 2004.

1. firewire

firewire Member

For all those that are interested AO7 has finally gone on sale in U.K. check out www.bigpockets.co.uk In addition to writing +/- @ 8x the drive will also read DVD Ram. The Sony DRU-530A is also available, personally I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. Media is a bit pricey £1.19 per disc but I'm sure that will drop in the next few months. It looks like it time to trade in my weary old AO4.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2004
  2. Discmania

Discmania Active member

Sounds good but I will probably wait for new dual layer discs to be released first. Apparently Pioneer have devised new firmware that will enable existing drives to write on a dual layer disc. Of course whether they will release that instead of a new dual layer burner remains to be seen but lets hope so. I know this will not increase the write speed in itself but at 8x you will only get another 5 minutes off the burning time anyway (10 minutes instead of 15). Hope you will post your results after using it.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2004
  3. drchips

drchips Active member

Here firewire,

I'll give you a couple of quid for your old A04 when you get your new speed-demon...

I can always do with another A04...

Have Fun...

4. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I've read the same about the Pioneer burn tech. I believe they have made it possible to upgrade the AO6, they will probably not make this commercially available though, it would badly affect the sale of their new burners! Even though I own a DRU510a and am very happy with it, I also would not touch one with abarge pole. This is compounded by the fact that I believe that they are pulling out of the manufacture a dvd burners.

5. pulsar

pulsar Active member

my grammar is shocking this evening, SORRY

6. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

At least you spelled "grammar" right!

Just interested, do any of these new drives write @8X with 4X media?

Also, any ideas as to what the dual-layer media is going to cost or compatability with existing standalones?
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Gigabyte 8INXP, Intel P4HT 3.06
    Mushkin 1024 MB PC2100
    Sapphire 9800 Pro
    Plextor 708A/Plextor Premium/LiteOn 166S
    M-Audio Revolution 7.1[/small]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2004
  7. Discmania

Discmania Active member

There is a burner that will burn a 4x disc at 8x but I'm blowed if I can remember which one. As far as Pioneer are concerned I would have thought that if they can firmware the 106 then they must be able to do the same for the new 8x burner. I doubt if Pioneer would miss an oportunity to market the new dual layer format especially since they are the leaders in DVD hardware technology - we will see.

8. Nephilim

No kidding. First one on the market with a dual-layer burner is going to sell a whole mess of them.

9. firewire

firewire Member

drchips
    Thanks for the offer. I will bear you in mind.

Nephilim

Your right, the first company to release a burner that can handle dual layers will make a packet. If I had an AO5orAO6 I might be tempted to hold out. Although I can't really see dual layer burner being available for quite some time not to mention the media.

10. kidmd

kidmd Guest

Plextor sells a drive that will write at 8X on 4X media. There is one other drive that can do this but I can't remember who makes it.

11. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Is it MSI?

12. Nephilim

The PX-708 writes to 4X at 8X with quality media. I've done three TDK 4X +Rs at arond 9 minutes each and they play fine to the end. I was very skeptical at first but with each good disc I'm believing a bit more.

13. MysticE

MysticE Active member