1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8x media on a 4x burner

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by cobruh2k, Dec 29, 2004.

1. cobruh2k

cobruh2k Member

Hi folks,

Probably a stupid question, but I want to make sure. I've been burning DVD for awhile with no problems, using various 4x media. Then by mistake I ordered some 8x Taiyo DVD-Rs, and my DVD burner won't recognize them. I'm guessing it's because my burner (NEC 1300) is rated at 4x, and the media is 8x?

Also, one other question which I think I've figured out, sort of. The DVD-Rs I've burned at 4x using Shrink play fine on both my DVD-ROM (Lite-On) and aforementioned DVD-RW drive. Also, they play fine on my two stand alone DVD home players - Panasonic and Samsung. But they will not play on my laptop or my portable Panasonic DVD player (which states it will play DVD-Rs). I'm thinking maybe to try different media and burn at a lower speed?

2. kchev

kchev Regular member

make sure your firmware is updated for your burner
    i have an NEC 1300A burner and have burnt a couple hundred 8x DVD-R Taiyo Yuden discs with no problems

3. bardie

bardie Regular member

In reply to your first question, as long as the speed of the media you have, in your case 8x is greater than what your burner is capable of (4x) then all what happens is that your burner will continue to only burn at its maximum speed of 4x.
    The end product will be the same, so no need to worry.
    And maybe your suggestion to the second question would be ok, I would just change the media, I think burning at 4x is fine, but I would not burn any higher.

4. cobruh2k

cobruh2k Member

kchev,

Thanks for the info. I've read a lot here about flashing the drive to upgrade the firmware, and am a litte scared of doing this having read some horror stories. The NEC site has very detailed instructions on how to do this, but when I read that if it's done wrong you could diable your drive, I get a little paranoid. Any advice?

PS - I burned a DVD at 2x and it plays fine on my other devices.

5. kchev

kchev Regular member

just follow the directions and it is very easy
    as long as a power outage or something like that in the middle of flashing doesn't happen, you will be fine
    does not even take a minute
    usually they are recoverable even if something messes up. it takes a little work, but it can be done

6. kchev

kchev Regular member

7. cobruh2k

cobruh2k Member

thanks for the link, I'll try the 1.0c when I get home and report back. I gather this is the windows version rather than the DOS flashing method?

8. tomt7898

tomt7898 Guest

I also have a nec 1300A 4x burner and have been using TEON 8X +R's and so far no problems.
    Its my understanding that no matter what the media 4X OR 8X
    your burner will only burn in what format its in ?

correct..

9. cobruh2k

cobruh2k Member

kchev,

Happy New Year! I followed the link you provided and flashed my NEC using 1.0c. You're right, it was a one-click process, very easy, and now I'm able to burn the Taiyo 8x's. So many, many thanks. Now I have another 100 blank DVDs to use!!

But, one thing happened - might be an OS issue?

When I click on my computer, the NEC drive icon has disappeared. When I went to Add New Hardware, the NEC shows as being installed. Which of course it is since I was able to burn with it and it also showed up as the default drive in Nero. Question is, how do I get the drive to show up under My Computer?

10. kchev

kchev Regular member

did you restart your computer a couple of times?

if that doesn't work, you may want to uninstall your drive in device manager and restart your computer and let windows find it again. the first one should work, i have flashed mine a couple of times with no problems

11. cobruh2k

cobruh2k Member

Thanks again. I restarted it and Windows found it. All is well..