1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8x media

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by cdr11, Aug 22, 2004.

1. cdr11

cdr11 Member

Hi

Can any of u guys help, recently purchased a pioneer dvr107 (great kit) but cannot find a list of 8x compatible media at ritek or pioneer sites. Tried ritek Arita 8x dvd+R, but only records 4x, tried firmware upgrade on drive and upgraded to latest nero6 with no joy.

2. LIALT

LIALT Member

Hi I'm also new to this site but in answer to your question try this website:http://shop.store.yahoo.com/cdrdvdrmedia/ they are selling the 8x media and I am planning to buy some too cause I recently upgraded my burner from a 4x to an 8x. I have used 4x media from this website and I have no problems so far

3. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Is there a reason you [bold]have[/bold] to burn at 8x? Faster doesn't mean better :)

4. babelfish

babelfish Regular member

after flashing my nec 2510 i can now use ridisk media at 8x - although i still use 4x for movies... maybe i just dont trust writing at max speeds for movies i dunno (like in the good old days when writing audio cds at greater than 2x resulted in drops in audio...)

5. cdr11

cdr11 Member

Sorry for the reply delay, been away.

thanks for the suggestions.

In answer to the "why" question, I think companies like pioneer, who, invest a lot of money in developing a product, it should perform its basic design perameters, or else there would be no purpose to its existence.

I finally solved the problem by flashing my drive using the firmware upgrade from Flashman.rpc1.com.

Must advise do not do this if you cannot aford to replace your drive if you cook it.

thanks again.

6. LIALT

LIALT Member

hi flip218
    I just wanted to get an 8x media cause I want to burn movies faster although I heard that using an 8x media with an 8x burner might affect the quality of the movie , is this true?

7. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

LIALT,

Some have had success burning at 8x. I myself had playback problems burning at 8x (skipping and freezing), burned again at 4x and no problems.

Burning at 8x instead of 4x, you save maybe 5 minutes.

(IMO) I don't think it will affect quality, but could affect playback.

8. LIALT

LIALT Member

Thanks for the quick response flip218. Can I burn a 4x media on an 8X burner?

9. forkndave

forkndave Member

Yes, you can burn 4X media on an 8X burner. You may have to burn it at 4X, though, depending on your burner and its firmware version. I have a Pioneer A07 hith the hacked firmware and I can burn most DVDs at 8X if I want to. I usually burn at 6X because I get the best results at that speed. For some reason, I get better Kprobe results at 6X than I do at 4X. That doesn't make sense so I just accept it. Any hacked firmware voids your warranty, but I've never had any problems personally.

10. zarlaan

zarlaan Member

I'm using a Sony DRU-530a with lastest firmware. Also using Ritek 8x media from Meritline.com. I have no problems whatsoever with any movies i've burned. I did have a problem at first but it was my home player that just didn't like 8X dvd-r the movie still burned perfectly. So as long as you have a newer home dvd player there shoulnd't be any reason really to not take advantage of it.

11. mss71ny

mss71ny Member

Can anyone help me with this? [bold]Is the Pioneer A07XL- burner an updated version of the 107-?[/bold] What are the differences if that's not the case?

Thanks!
    ~Mike