1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8x or 16x?..and some other noob questions

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by Nick39891, Jun 9, 2007.

1. Nick39891

Nick39891 Member

So I was wondering what kind of dvds to get. It seems that TY and Verbatim are the best. I'm also not sure what the difference is with the speeds. Does it just depend on the drive? (I have a Sony DRU-820a)It says the max is 16x for -r/+r. (oh and should I get dvd-r or dvd+r?)

Does any of this really matter or will I not even notice a difference? :/

2. Nick39891

Nick39891 Member

Meh I just went ahead and bought 100 TY dvd+r 8x from rima.com. I'm an impulsive buyer. ;/

3. bunnyrip

bunnyrip Regular member

DVD Media? You will find that in General, you will get your best results from Verbatim DVD+R 16x, or Sony DVD+R 16x. TDK does not have a very good reputation. However, some burners like them. I have had many coasters in the past from TDK. IF you can find some, get some Made In Japan Taiyo Yudens! They are the highest quality.
    ( Usually, Sony DVD+R 8x Made in Japan ARE Taiyo Yuden made). Hard as hell to find any these days though. Good luck!
    Edit to add Burn speed? I stick with 1/2 the rated speed of the media for your burner, in your case, I would burn at 8x.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2007
  4. Nick39891

Nick39891 Member

k Thanks

Do you mean half of the max speed for the burner or the media? They sell 8x and 16x dvd+r, but I'm not really sure what's different about them.

5. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

Half the rated speed of the medium in the drive. The differences between 8X and 16X media are:
    1) faster reacting dyes in the 16X discs (either different forumulations or slightly thinner coatings
    2) different MID codes on the stampers that include different field ID codes also so that drives know what laser power to apply to them
    3) often slightly tighter tolerances on radial and tangential tilt