1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8x Speed but get only 4x speed result , WHY?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by honsbeek, Apr 22, 2005.

1. honsbeek

honsbeek Member

Hi ,

I have bought myself 50 DVD-R's to be burned on my LG GSA 4082B DVD BURNER... The Product should be able to burn the 8x speed DVD-R according to the specs, but when I use the latest version of NERO and try to burn DATA the maximun speed only shows up ar 4x speed... WHY the heck is this?
    Is my device defect?? Or are all my DVD-R's scams from God forsaken CHINA???

PLEASE ASSIST

THank you

Ralph

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Even though you may select the maximum speed with your burning program, your burner firmware will always do an OPC to determine the correct power level and speed of the burn. The Optimum Power Check is part of the DVD spec. Try changing media brands. You may also want to update your firmware:

http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?t=28812&view=previous

Last edited: Apr 22, 2005
  3. cougar_ii

cougar_ii Regular member

Hi there,

I have a 16x burner, and when I put 4x certified media, Nero only shows me 4x MAX.

Not sure if it's the drive and/or software that is smart, but it reads the media, and knows this media is 4x certified, so it will not try to burn at a faster speed.

I also have old cheap 2x media, and Nero will not show me higher than 2x on those media.

Go buy Certified 8x Taiyo Yuden (Some Maxell, Fujifilm) and it should display 8x.

If you are going to burn DVD Video, personally I burn everthing at 2x, and all my stuff is 100% error free.

Faster than this, even 4x gives me problems.
    But I currently do not own Taiyo Yuden just yet, they are my next buy.

I have read the 4x Taiyo Yuden are Grade "B" Media
    and the Taiyo Yuden 8x certified are Grade "A" Media. (So I have read).

4. honsbeek

honsbeek Member

So will updating my device's firmware solve the problem.
    I did change Media brands , doesnt' seem to help

please advise

thanks

P.S. Nice Haybusa buy the way , are you still driving it???

5. elizerroj

elizerroj Regular member

consider yourself lucky that your burners are burning at 4x, for i belive it is safer to burn at that speed. i do it at 2.4x. be on the no errors side. see you

6. honsbeek

honsbeek Member

Come on , get real...

Do you know how fast the world is spinning and it keep on spinning
    faster and faster, NO FEAR

THAT;s the way to go

Cheers

7. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

After a bit of Googling for some updated firmware I realize why I like Pioneer. This is all I could come up with...

http://tdb.rpc1.org/#GSA4082B

LG HL-DT-ST GSA-4082B (GMA-4082B)
    RPC1 Firmwares based on A201 DOS, A203 DOS, A204 DOS, A204 Windows (RPC1 and Auto-Reset), A206 Windows (RPC1 and Auto-Reset), A207 DOS, A207 Windows (RPC1 and Auto-Reset), A208 DOS, and A208 Windows (RPC1 and Auto-Reset).

Which one will work, I do not know. I just googled for "firmware LG GSA 4082B DVD". I did not care for some of the problems that this firmware seems to produce. Hopefully someone with the same burner will have a better idea.

My current ride is a GSXR 1000 that I have not been able to find a gif of. It won't go quite as fast as the 'busa but it corners a lot better and actually outruns the 'busa up to about 150 or so. Hard to tell on the street though.

8. honsbeek

honsbeek Member

Thanks Fastfrank ,

I just found some other firmware even a more recent one,,,

I myself drive a Honda CB400 SF , but will soon be changing to a
    HONDA hornet 900F5 , ... Awesome sportif nike ...

Are you American ?? Where in the world do you drive that BEAST

Cheers

Ralph

9. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

"Burn Fast - Stack coasters High!!!" :)

10. honsbeek

honsbeek Member

Hey Frank ,

Do you have any idea what within two seperate firmware's
    AUTO and RPC1 might mean ... I downloaded the firmware from that
    site you recommended but there were two files in the zip

which one should you choose?

thanks

Ralph

11. Sir-Age

Sir-Age Regular member

I have 8x media but the highest I get is 4x but im NOT bothered at all, 4x is great and 5-6 mins in not worth coasters!

12. Sir-Age

Sir-Age Regular member

A planet is a little different than a blank dvd. If you could burn a dvd at the same speed as the earth rotates that would be very fast! Split second burning!

13. cruisin60

cruisin60 Member

I've tried to different 16x burners at 8x speed and 16x speed and could not get my copys any faster then the 4x on my Sony DRU500AX burner. I contacted both companies and I got different answers. Sony said to take my ROM drive off my channel and just run with their DRU720 as the lone drive. But that took me 10 minutes to read the source then 8 minutes to burn it. Still not as good as the on the fly nero of 16 minutes. The Lite-on 1673 gave me the same results. I can't see how it's worth the expense of upgrading to the newer drives unless it's taking you 25 to 45 minutes now to copy a dvd. Also the 4x dvd's are a lot cheaper. I have a P4 2.2 gb with 512 mb ram. My rom reader is rated at 16x but really gets a little over 8x reading. (using Neros dvd tools)

14. eric545

eric545 Regular member

I suspect that all things being equal, the burner you use, and the software you burn with might make the difference. I use variety of off brand white inkjet printable 8x dvd-r's blanks. I use brands like Dupsonic, PowerMatrix, & High-Speed and rarely make coasters. My secret. My dvd burners are both Plextor PX-716SA's (Serial ATA) and I burn using Roxio Easy Media Creator 7.

Because of the quality of the Plextors burners, Roxio offers to burn 8x single layer discs at 16x, and 2.4x dual layer discs at 4x. I however; never, ever select a burn speed higher than 4x and 2.4x.

I start by decrypting my dvd's using DVD Decrypter, then I always use DVD Shrink, followed by burning using Roxio Easy Media Creator 7 "Disc Copier". With all the discussion about which media to use, I am surprised that the burner type and software one uses, is never faulted.

Before buying the Plextors; I had and used a Pioneer 105, a Pioneer 107 and a Pioneer A08 and had all most of the same problems reported, however; since going with the Plextors, my problems disappeared.

15. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Ralph, your thread has been hijacked!! After digging through the various replies, I found that you had asked about which firmware to go with. I do not know which is which... Like I said I did not care for what I saw there. You may want to go back to that site and see if you can find some clues.....or you can just load the rpc-1. Are you sure that both are firmware? Sometimes they will bundle a tool in. There should have been a read-me text page in there as well. It has the installation instructions.

I live in the states but generally don't ride around at or near 150 mph. I am a licensed roadracer so I can get my speed fixes at the track. Probably done with that though. 15 years of it and I'm not dead so I'll probably leave it to the younger racers...I've got a bunch of trophies and just a few scars..