1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

9.4 gb DVD-R's OK to use on Plextor 708A?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by medialife, Dec 2, 2003.

1. medialife

medialife Member

Supposedly my Plextor dvd burner is Ritek 4x DVD-R compatible. I went to the following website, which provided a list of dvd brands compatible with my dvd player:

http://www.meritline.com/ritek-dvd-r-dvdr-4x-blank-media-94-bulk.html

Under the various types of Ritek dvd-r's, it had a 9.4 gb dvd, which was 4.7 (or 4.3) gb on each side, i.e. it was dual-sided. I remember hearing something about how dual-sided dvds aren't available or can't be burnt yet or something, so I was wondering if I simply misheard, and can buy them and they'll work just like regular dvd's so long as I flip them over to burn on each side.

Thanks.

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Ye, two-sided, i.e. flippers, work with all the burners. Usually people confuse these "9.4GB" discs to dual-layer discs (i.e. one side has 8.5GB of data) and think that they can backup their DVD-9 movies to these discs without transcoding/splitting the movie.

Problem with flippers is that there's only very small area to write the disc name with a pen and you need to be super-careful with handling the discs as both sides need to be treated carefully.