1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

9.4GB double-sided DVD-R from Ritek: review??

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by kdatta, Apr 30, 2005.

1. kdatta

kdatta Guest

I could not find another thread that dealt with this. Has anyone in this forum had experience with the 9.4GB double-sided DVD-R from Ritek, or for that matter any 9.4GB double-sided media? I would like to purchase this type; they hold more data than traditional 4.7GB DVD-Rs and are less costly than the currently available DVD+R DL media. But it would be nice if someone could share their experiences before I make the purchase.

2. gamename

gamename Regular member

never herd of a 9.4 gb, but i have burnt a few 8.5 dvd+r dl by verbatim and they were great. the only problem is alot of players wont play them and there too expensive.

3. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

If you are talking about flippers(dvd-10), they are basically discs with a layer on each side. The same as 2 single layer discs(dvd-5), but on one disc. I have only used 5 of these(ritek), but they worked great. I only used these to experiment with, but I rather use 2 single layer discs instead. I also use DL(dvd-9) media. I have over 100 verbatim DL backups and they have worked in all(20+) the dvd players I played them on. BestBuy has 10 pks of verbatim DL discs for $60. From what I've read and been told by friends who have tried other brands, verbatim DL seem to work the best.(so far) Though, I didn't bother with bitsetting, changing the book type from +R to DVD-Rom may make them more compatible.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2005
  4. kdatta

kdatta Guest

Thanks for the reply, wolfniggr. I was, indeed, talking about 'flippers' - as you say, 4.7 GB on each side. This is the first time I am going to try them out, and I have ordered some Ritek ones. It is good to know that someone else has used them successfully.

Most verbatim media are crap, but I can sing paeans in praise of the verbatim DVD+R DL media. They worked very well in my Plextor PX-716A DL burner right out of the box, while I made several coasters with Ritek RiData DL media. However, with the current firmware for the burner upgraded to 1.06 (the latest, I think), I find that the RiData DL media have been burning successfully, and are compatible with my Sony DVD player.

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2005
  5. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Yeah, I noticed some inconsistancies with verbatim as well as with ritek media, I have had the most success and better results with TY(and other made in japan media). Make sure to burn at low speeds though. Like I said, I have had disapointing results with this manufacturer. It seems these are problematic when burning at higher speeds.

Even the verbatim DL discs gave me problems when I burned them at 4x, but at 2.4x they worked like a charm. As far as the 10 pk I metioned earlier, the box shows support for 5x. I wonder if these are a little more stable at 4x than the original ones.

Anyway, good luck with those flippers.

Last edited: May 1, 2005