1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

98 start up problems

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by rab48124, Mar 28, 2007.

1. rab48124

rab48124 Regular member

Ok, I knoe 98 is way gone, but here is the problem last night I told my sister that she could have my old computer and it worked fine.Today when I start it I get the message one or more of your dick drives may have developed bad sectors press any key to run scan disk w/ surface analysis on these drives. the when I press a key I get a message there was an error running scandisk.EXE press any key to continue starting windows, then when I press a key it starts, any help? thanks in advance windows

2. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

It seems that your hard drive needs a good defrag. Also if the surface scan finds a lot of bad sectors it means the hard drive is nearly dead or coming to an end.

Also reading your post again. If you can not get into scandisk while boot up process. Try doing the scan when in windows and if the same thing happens you may want to just format the PC and start again as the hard drive either needs to be recovered through a format or just throw it out and get a new one.

3. rab48124

rab48124 Regular member

thanks, I thought I might need to get a new hard drive, thanks again

4. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

No problem, glad to help :)

5. rab48124

rab48124 Regular member

Sorry, But I have one more question, If I were to buy a new hard drive is it good to go right out of the box? or do I have to format it? there is nothing worth saving on the old hard drive.And it would be a good time to go to XP

6. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

If there is nothing worth saving, then i would just format it and then go to XP and when you go to XP when you install XP it will ask you if you would like to convert your hard drive file system to NTFS and it is a good idea to do that. XP works and understands NTFS better than FAT32.

I hope that helps and keep me posted on your progress.

7. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Red Flag here.

Make sure the older computer is capable of handling drives over 137GB in size if that's the route you take. Otherwise, the system may not boot or just may not recognize the drive at all. Only way to know...is to figure out what BIOS version the motherboard is using and to update it to the last version.

If not....all is not lost. You can easily partition the drive to the sizes the computer will recognize.

8. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

Thanxs for that mate i forgot about that all together. The way in which to see what kinda of motherboard you have without opening your PC up you can downlaod a program called Everest. You can find the link in my link section on my profile page.

9. rab48124

rab48124 Regular member

Thanks everybody, Im going to use a 40 mg hd, You guy have helped alot and again, THANKS

10. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Are you kidding me? Hell....I'm one to command the boat for those that forget things all the time!! After a recent run in with Trend Micro, I had to completely wipe this system...and start new. That was last week, and just yesterday I remembered to go in and tweak the services...

:|