1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

_NEC DVD_RW ND-3500AG 2.R8 (ATA)

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by Ponpokoi, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Ponpokoi

Ponpokoi Member

Hello! :)

I'm currently having problems trying to burn media at 1X speed, my drive apparently only supports speeds of 2.4x and 4x - according to ImgBurn & VSO Inspector.
    If my drive can burn at those speeds, why am I unable to burn at a lower speed (1X)? I am using the latest, retailed, firmware.

The media I am burning: TDK DVD+R (1-16x speed)
    I have also tested old Octrons (1-8x) - to see if there was any change, there wasn't so I was hoping someone could shed some light on my problem.

Thanks alot,
    Jim

2. attar

attar Senior member

I believe that it is the firmware which is has the final word on burning speed - i.e. software cannot override it.
    It may be that the original firmware allowed 1x, but subsequent firmware decided that this speed was causing problems on the available media.
    The fact that the 'write strategy' (maximum burning speed) has been getting into the 16x range for DVD and 52X for CD meant that the lowest speed (using that media with this particular burner) was a problem.

3. Ponpokoi

Ponpokoi Member

The firmware I installed can be found on: http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/page/en/NEC-ND-3500A/

It was flashed using Binflash, from 2.1A Original (still unable to write at 1X) to 2.R8 Original (still unable), would altering the bit setting change anything at all?
    As what I've read about it - it only improves compatibility for reading other media. (I maybe wrong)

If anyone knows a build of firmware that supports 1X write, I would like to know where it maybe found.:)

Jim

4. tripplite

tripplite Guest

some drives just wont support 1x

can you give me the brand name of the drive?

5. Ponpokoi

Ponpokoi Member

It's an old _NEC DVD_RW ND-3500AG .. I just assumed that if it was able to write to 4x then I should be able to write from 1 - 4, seems not to be the case.