1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A+ Certification

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by bicuspid, Mar 28, 2007.

1. bicuspid

bicuspid Guest

Hello, new to the boards. I'm in a course right now in order to prep for the A+ certification. I have been working with computers for about 8 years now; granted, by working, I mean killing my computers and learning, as well as fixing everyone else's around me who know nothing of computers on problems I have had or think I may be able to fix. I have been in this a long time, but not extremely deep into it. I have a good knowledge of computers, can fix many problems, but when compared to, well, many folks on this board, I'm a novice.

To the point; I am looking for the best resources to get in depth on what I need to know for the A+ test. I have the CompTIA books, the class, and a few other books. My issue is that a lot of the stuff in these are things that you would never remember. 3 pages simply dedicated to charts that give you detailed info on processors from the 8086 - Pentium premium edition. Info like core voltage, I/O voltage, # of transistors, integrated FPU, but for 33 different processors. This might sound like a weird complaint, but they then test you, and ask you for specific info on a specific processor during the chapter review, and to remember all 4 bits of info on 33 different processors (not to mention the other 40 or so charts in the book, and the other 40 or so in book 2) is unrealistic. I am looking for something, site, book, etc, to coincide with the info I get from the books and class that will set me specifically on the info I really need for the test, and what I should be remembering.

Sorry for the long winded explanation of a simple request. Thanks in advance.

2. Blackjax

Blackjax Regular member

First relax after eight years you should have a good basic working knowledge and you will pass the test. I have had my comptia A+ cert. for 7 years now. I am not sure what they would have changed on the tests since then but from what I do remember it does not get that specific with specs on processors, etc. If there is someone thats reads this post that has recently taken this test thsi may be able to shed a little more light on it.
    If you are taking a class the teacher should be able to tell you what is important to remember and if they tell you everything I wouldn't belive that!

3. bicuspid

bicuspid Guest

He doesn't believe we have to remember all of that, nor do I really, but since this is from the official CompTIA books, it confuses me as to the real important points that should be memorized. The problem I have with this class, is that it is an "experimental" class for the adult Boces program. The teacher was a last minute pick and did not have time to create a course plan. He knows his stuff VERY well, but he is a bit scatter brained and 4 weeks in, I feel as though I have learned practically nothing. This worries me. I am just trying to cover all bases because the practice tests I took were older, and much easier than the ones we have been taking. My problem is simply this, I am about 2 years behind in the computer world. I mean, I just recently learned about BTX boards and they came out in '04 haha. I am in serious need of updates like that, as to what will be on the newer test. Anyway it goes, I just plan to study my ass off, and remember as much as I can.

Thanks for the comment though, always nice to hear how any of these tests were/are. Especially when the word is "not too in depth...".

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

moved to correct forum

5. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Seems to me, you should also be able to find sample tests online or at the library ... they do it with everything else.