1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Challenge - NOT FOR the feint hearted

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by ancient23, Jan 14, 2008.

1. ancient23

ancient23 Member

14. January 2008 @ 01:56 Link to this message
    HAD THIS IN WRONG SECTION MY APOLOGIES FOR DOUBLE ENTRY I AM TRYING TO REMOVE ORIGINAL NOW

Hi
    Making a backup of one of my owned faavourite films - Close Encounters - I am trying to insert all the deleted scenes to make it a complete movie

i am UK member and using PAL versions
    My problem starts immediately when i view the edit screen - widescreen with border top and bottom about 33% of height of screen is black border-720x576. The deleted scenes have almost 50% height black border.
    Using tmpgeng when i try to crop this to suit I loose the audio - I think. Well it says no audo present
    On rebuild I cannot maintain anyn audio other than 2 channel stereo
    I am using
    tmpgnc v3
    dvd author
    dvd shrink
    dvd decrypter
    Any advice greatly appreciated

regards

2. varnull

varnull Guest

You are missing one tool.. have a look at Avidemux

It allows you to resize the video, change formats and framerate..audio codecs and more.. and basic join/cut editing.. bonus for such a good tool.. it's free

http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/

3. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

This is an interesting challenge, and one I thought about taking on myself (with Blazing Saddles) just to see if I could do it. Ultimately I abandoned it because I didn't have the time.

Your audio problem is fairly easy to explain but a little more complicated to fix. The deleted scenes probably have only 2 channel audio, and an audio stream must have the same number of channels and bitrate throughout. Joining a 5 or 5.1 channel audio stream to a 2 channel stream isn't possible. That means you either have to settle for 2 channel or decode and re-encode into 5 or 5.1 channel AC3 audio to join it to the other title.

There are other ways to do it, but they're much more complicated.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2008