1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A challenging problem....

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by nkitson, Feb 22, 2003.

1. nkitson

nkitson Guest

I want to create video DVDs of an amateur dramatic production - I've successfully authored my production and can burn a DVD+RW which will play in most of the set-top players I try. The content is ~3GB (ie > 1GB)

When I burn +R and -R, they play perfectly in my Pioneer DV-533K (a great machine which plays anything I throw at it) and a friend's Pioneer (different model) They do not play in my Phillips DVD718 or any of the other friends machine's I've tried, some of which are new models.

S/W Settings and hardware
    Nero 5.5.10.0 and 5.5.10.7b with no difference.
    Selected DVD-ROM (UDF/ISO), using ISO 9660, no Joliet and UDF 1.02.

I'm using FWS +R and -R disks.
    Nero's CD Speed Disc info identifies the R+ discs to be RICOHJPN and the hub code is C103RP2121....
    The R- discs are RITEKG04, hub code E54L1930114... which are Ritek G04. I've tried burning at x1 as well as x4

My burner is a Sony DRX-500UL external using firewire connection. Firmware 1.0g Power-Burn enabled.
    I've tried a 700MHz AMD CPU PC with Win2000 and also a Dell Inspiron notebook, 1.8GHz Pentium 4 mobile with WinXP Home.

About the only thing I haven't been able to try is the DVDbitsetter utility which is supposed to set DVD+RW and +R to look like a CD-ROM which I believe helps with some set-top sets. (The DVDbitsetter utility cannot be used with Sony burners until Sony release the necessary data)

Ideas and a (correct<g>) answer would be great of course but so would advice on areas I can eliminate, for example if +RW works but +R doesn't, does that mean that all my Nero settings, and my version of Nero, must be ok? And by the way, is using the lowest UDF version option (1.02) likely to be most compatible or are there any benefits to using 1.50 or 2.01

Any other ideas for ways in which I can eliminate other factors?

I live in Malaysia at the moment so don't have easy access to blank discs - a friend bought the above discs out from England but not so easy to get different types and, from what I've heard, FWS discs should be ok!

Thanks in frustration,

Nick

2. mhatip

mhatip Member

why dont u try burning with different software. I use prassi primo or RecordNowMax, and i use UDF with Joilet, and never had problems on any set top yet.
    i use dvd-r no name brand.

3. nkitson

nkitson Guest

I've downloaded the trial version (I really don't want to pay until I see it work!) but the trial doesn't include DVD video components. I can UDF burn suitable AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders with .VOB files etc, but how do I ensure they are written on the disk in the correct order? - I'm trying that now (on a RW disk!) but I don't expect it to work!

I'll have a look for Prassi Primo and give that a go.

4. memcco

memcco Regular member

try a better, higher quality dvd media.

5. nkitson

nkitson Guest

RecordNow Max worked! Never thought I would see a -R working on my old Phillips. I'm very surprised at Nero letting me down, especially having tried two versions.

6. mhatip

mhatip Member

Yeah, Nero Blowzzz so hard, to much problems with DVD burning. I also have it installed, but never use it, i just stick with Primo or RecordNowMax, and they really rock for both CD and DVD burning. So say good bye to sucky Nero program, and say hello to RecordNowMax.