1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A complete How to DVD ripping

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by brock114, Aug 22, 2003.

1. brock114

brock114 Member

Hi all!

I am wonder where I might find a how-to on ripping from a DVD and putting into a .avi file. (As I now copy movies as data to CD-R and play on my computer to my 36" TV)
    Also, I have tried programs like WinMPG dvd ripper and Dr.Divx etc. and these programs seem to SUCK at best! Is there a program that will do this for me easily?

Any help?

Thanks all!

2. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

3. brock114

brock114 Member

PowerDup, I used the article for creating DivX with AC3 and followed it to a T. Everything worked but after encoding all I had was a .avi file of 256Mb. When I played it, I had audio but no video???? The final output size was supposed to be 716Mb......

It seemed to have encoded the audio but no video..... HELP???

Also, should I be using the 16:9 article as opposed to the DivX/AC3 article using Gordian Knot???
    What is the final result when using the Gordian Knot/AC3 DivX article as opposed to the 16:9 article??

Thanks PD

4. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

I read the guide and I think in some places, it didnt really explain things very well. If you still want to use Gknot to encode your movies I suggest using this guide:
    http://www.doom9.org/gknot-main3.htm

This guide uses an mp3 audio source so if you want to keep the AC3 audio set the appropriate settings.

The 16:9 guide is a good guide but it hasnt been updated in awhile, ie., it uses an older version of the divx codec. And unless you can figure the divx codec settings out on your own i wouldnt recommend it. Also the 16:9 guide uses the vfapi codec to frameserve the vob files which means it converts the native dvd colorspace of YV12 to that of RGB which isnt very good for quality. GKnot on the other hand uses Avisynth to framserve the vob files and stays in the dvd's original colorspace which is great for quality. Plus, without the unecessary color conversion that happens when using the vfapi codec, you get increased encoding speeds. Another difference between using the Gknot guide and the 16:9 guide is a more accurate file size. I find that when using Gknot you get more accurate file sizes than when using bitrate calculators. And finally there is Gknot's compressibility test. This test is a great way to 'guesstimate' the quality of the movie using the settings you have chosen. On the link i gave you, the guide will explain a bit more in detail about the compressibility check.

Good Luck.